How Often Can Hibiscus be Fed?

Average Joe

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I read in several places online that leaves from a hibiscus plant are nutritious and can be fed to tortoises but I was unable to find any information on how often this can be done. I have been feeding mine one leaf every 2-3 days for about two weeks now. Will feeding it hibiscus more often hurt it or am I already feeding it too much as is? I can provide pictures of the plant upon request (if the species of hibiscus matters).

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No one knows a definitive answer to this question. No scientific studies have been done in a lab to determine this answer. What we can tell you is how we each "feel" about this subject.

I think your tortoise would remain healthy if you fed only hibiscus leaves every other day, and used lots of variety on the other days. I've never tested this theory, but this is my best guess. I think the amount you are using now is good, and you could increase the amount a bit with no problems.

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
My Redfoots which are all round 15lbs get veggies and fruits in the a.m. and hibiscus clippings every afternoon. This is the bulk of their forage and they eat a lot. Been doing this for 25 years. This diet works for the big ones, if your feeding a small one a more varied diet is best. A nice thing about hibiscus is that it can be put in an enclosure without drawing flies or ants and just left in as forage.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I read in several places online that leaves from a hibiscus plant are nutritious and can be fed to tortoises but I was unable to find any information on how often this can be done. I have been feeding mine one leaf every 2-3 days for about two weeks now. Will feeding it hibiscus more often hurt it or am I already feeding it too much as is? I can provide pictures of the plant upon request (if the species of hibiscus matters).

I would offer as much as the tort can consume....tortoise are generally up for seasonal eating and not unusual for a tort to chow down large amounts of items in bloom and then move to the next item when that one goes out of bloom...and then gorge on the next available item....I would offer as much as the tort will eat and also offer a touch of variety in the event the tort wants to change up.

Tortoise04

Europe
No one knows a definitive answer to this question. No scientific studies have been done in a lab to determine this answer. What we can tell you is how we each "feel" about this subject.

I think your tortoise would remain healthy if you fed only hibiscus leaves every other day, and used lots of variety on the other days. I've never tested this theory, but this is my best guess. I think the amount you are using now is good, and you could increase the amount a bit with no problems.
If I plant a hibiscus plant in my tortoise enclosure, will my tortoise be eating it every day and is that okay.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If I plant a hibiscus plant in my tortoise enclosure, will my tortoise be eating it every day and is that okay.
It will likely be trampled, eaten and killed in short order, unless you put it in a pot or somehow block access to it. You also need to be concerned about the source of the plant. Commercial nurseries do not intend for them to be eaten by animals, so they grow them with systemic pesticides to keep the bugs away and keep the plants looking pretty for market. These pesticides are absorbed into the plant's tissues and cannot be washed away. So be sure to grow it yourself from seed or cuttings from long established plants.

With all of that in consideration, I think it would be fine for your tortoise to nibble on hibiscus leaves daily.

Tortoise04

Europe
It will likely be trampled, eaten and killed in short order, unless you put it in a pot or somehow block access to it. You also need to be concerned about the source of the plant. Commercial nurseries do not intend for them to be eaten by animals, so they grow them with systemic pesticides to keep the bugs away and keep the plants looking pretty for market. These pesticides are absorbed into the plant's tissues and cannot be washed away. So be sure to grow it yourself from seed or cuttings from long established plants.

With all of that in consideration, I think it would be fine for your tortoise to nibble on hibiscus leaves daily.
I will keep in mind. Thank you.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
How often has to be balanced with how much. A little everyday or an entire meal once a month. The principle of variety hinges on these two parameters for any food item. I offer some hibiscus flowers near daily, but 15 - 20 blossoms mixed in with 10 -15 heads of various greens is not much at all. I offer bouquets of hibiscus greens with grape and mulberry as the whole day's ration every week, just one day a week, to some redfoots.

For Russians it would seem okay as a less then 10-15% daily food source, they may get tired of it. Maybe the whole meal once a week or so, or like what I do mixed with a few other tree leaves once a week.

Smith141

Florida
My Redfoots which are all round 15lbs get veggies and fruits in the a.m. and hibiscus clippings every afternoon. This is the bulk of their forage and they eat a lot. Been doing this for 25 years. This diet works for the big ones, if your feeding a small one a more varied diet is best. A nice thing about hibiscus is that it can be put in an enclosure without drawing flies or ants and just left in as forage.
Hello! I am new to owning a red foot. I am not exactly sure how much is too much to feed him? He seems to like veggies and fruit he eats the grass and flowers when i let him walk around the yard which i fully fenced in and watch him like a hawk! I don't want any disappearing acts which I heard are very common. I would be devastated since I have already grown so in love with him. Any suggestions for me for how much food? Thank you so much. gina

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hello! I am new to owning a red foot. I am not exactly sure how much is too much to feed him? He seems to like veggies and fruit he eats the grass and flowers when i let him walk around the yard which i fully fenced in and watch him like a hawk! I don't want any disappearing acts which I heard are very common. I would be devastated since I have already grown so in love with him. Any suggestions for me for how much food? Thank you so much. gina
Feed him as much as he'll eat in one sitting. If it contains fruit remove it once he walks away to avoid ants.
Feed at the same time everyday.
Let him eat as much as he wants as long as it's a fresh and varied diet.
This post is several years old.
You should start your own post if you have other questions.