How often do you feed your tortoises?

TBernagozzi

Hey all! Just curious how often you feed your tortoises. I've been feeding Turt Reynolds every other day and he munches on the grass and other plants growing in his tank every day. When I fed him every day, he wasted most of the food!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I place a pile of food on the feeding station. If at the end of the day there is a lot of food left I know I gave them too much. If at the end of the day it's completely cleaned with no crumbs I know I didn't give them enough. I want there to be food available for them to come out and eat all throughout the day.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
....and, I might add - don't remove the food during the day if it starts looking unappetising TO YOU. It's still edible to the tortoise. They don't seem to care if it gets old and dried out.

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
Mine eat twice a day. That isn't counting what trey eat grazing in the outdoor pen on their own.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
....and, I might add - don't remove the food during the day if it starts looking unappetising TO YOU. It's still edible to the tortoise. They don't seem to care if it gets old and dried out.

I found that out ! Had some squash diced up , and was thinking yuck I am going to replace that ! About that time Speedy strolled over and started chowing down like it was the best ever ! :D

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I have to hand feed OLI :<3: as he refuses to eat alone. I feed him twice a day when it's warm/hot. In Winter torts tend to lose appetite.

And a warm welcome to the forum!:tort:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
barbarians

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I feed mine everyday plus they can graze

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Food is always available. He has no specific feeding time. When he is hungry, he can eat.

Maybe likes the stuff growing in the tank better than what you're feeding him.

TBernagozzi

Food is always available. He has no specific feeding time. When he is hungry, he can eat.

Maybe likes the stuff growing in the tank better than what you're feeding him.
Well, we got him from a place that was feeding him exclusively tortoise food instead of fresh food, so he's still learning new foods.