How often should you completely change the substrate

swdavis28

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Crewe
Hi,

I have a young red footed tortoise and use a mix of moss on top of a deep layer of Cyprus mulch. I spot clean the substrate every day.

My question is, how often should I completely change the substrate?

Thanks

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I spot clean and just replace what is removed as needed. The moss is not good since it can cause impaction if eaten-to be safe I do not use it. I have a 3" layer of cypress that I cover with Reptibark (Fine Fir Bark) for me it is the cheapest/best substrate

swdavis28

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Crewe
Thanks for that. I have been changing the substrate once a month and it is a real pain. Also, thanks for the tip on the moss, I hadnt realised this was a problem (I use it to keep the humidty up). Will have a look at the Reptibark and learn how to spell cypress correctly :)

swdavis28

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Crewe
Hi again,

Is this the bark you recommend?

Thanks

1604667565193.png

swdavis28

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Crewe
lol, I should never have left California.

Many thanks for your help :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi,

I have a young red footed tortoise and use a mix of moss on top of a deep layer of Cyprus mulch. I spot clean the substrate every day.

My question is, how often should I completely change the substrate?

Thanks
I never change mine. The only way I change it is when I'm moving a tortoise or a species out of that enclosure and moving something new in. Spot cleaning keep the substrate clean, and since I soak smaller tortoises daily, they never poop or pee in their enclosures.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
ANd Tom is just rolling with the world crushing blows again. $11 for crying out loud

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
ANd Tom is just rolling with the world crushing blows again. $11 for crying out loud
BOOM!

I looked into shipping bags from here. It ends up costing about the same as ordering the 24 quart bags from Chewy or Petco.com.

With tax it comes to $14 per bag, and then I need a big box, packing tape, and then the time and expensive CA gas to get to the post office. Shipping was around $32 for the weight and size at the most discounted rates I could find.

Two of the 24 quart bags of Reptiles-Bark = $36.18, plus shipping if you don't order enough stuff to get free shipping.

My way = about $46 for about 60 quarts if I take a loss on my time, tape, box, and gas money.

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
I spot clean and just replace what is removed as needed. The moss is not good since it can cause impaction if eaten-to be safe I do not use it. I have a 3" layer of cypress that I cover with Reptibark (Fine Fir Bark) for me it is the cheapest/best substrate
Do you have any problems with cypress smelling bad? I’d like to try it, but like the smell of Orchid bark, just been more expensive.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do you have any problems with cypress smelling bad? I’d like to try it, but like the smell of Orchid bark, just been more expensive.
I tried it several times and every batch took forever to rinse clean and it all smelled like the swamp it came from.

If I lived on the east coast, I'd just order the orchid bark whatever way I could and consider it a tortoise keeping expense.

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
I'm confused about all the shipping/gas/etc stuff that you're talking about.

Where do you actually purchase it for the $11? Is this the same fine grade fir bark?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I'm confused about all the shipping/gas/etc stuff that you're talking about.

Where do you actually purchase it for the $11? Is this the same fine grade fir bark?
AT a local Garden Center since he lives in magic La-La Land. Buys in large mulch bags like you get everything else and yes its fine grade fir bark

AgataP

Seattle, WA
Orchid bark 4.99 at the local feed store.
4.99 compressed coco coir - took all of them from the shelf ? at petsmart.
I spot clean daily. Take food leftovers Herbie usually goes potty during his soak or in one spot in his enclosure so I just pick it up. Any bark etc I pick up I throw it in his future outdoor enclosure- building up his smells there for next summer ?
13DFF85E-CB4F-434D-9D13-4777ED937B97.png

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Its just not fair ?
I have seriously contemplated going to cali for a weekend trip and piling my rogue to the brim with fir bark lol
Oh, And an enclosure from Mark lol
Do it, it would be worth the trip. Pick up a few tortoises too and visit with as many of the forum members as you can.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Its just not fair ?
I have seriously contemplated going to cali for a weekend trip and piling my rogue to the brim with fir bark lol
You could do it almost in a day! If I try I gotta go 1.5 East first to touch the ocean so I can a real coast to coast. BTW it would be with nothing less then a pickup truck

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Its just not fair ?
They offer a 10% discount if you buy a whole pallet. I'll meet you there and help you load!

Then you could make stops at the houses of good little tortoise keepers all the way home sort of like the Santa Claus of substrate! :)