How often to soak

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
How often should I soak a 10 month-old 2.5 inch tortoise? I have been soaking her daily until today to try to get her to urinate and defecate but she is doing all of it on her own now. She soaked herself in her terra cotta saucer for at least ten minutes this morning. The humidity is around 40%-45% if that helps. So should I continue daily soaks? Or can I soak every other day now?

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
It is my belief that many people do daily soaks to ensure proper hydration. If you feel as though your little one is self-sufficient, I'd go every other day if that's what you want. Daily soaks don't hurt anything; it's more as extra insurance and peace of mind. That said, every other day shouldn't hurt things, either. See what others have to say.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Every day for babies . In warm water checked with a thermometer . What is warm to us is way hot for them . You would be surprised how hot the water is . I checked my soak water this morning and it was 100 degrees . Thats way to hot . I'd shoot fot 80/85 degrees .

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Good info Mike :)
mike taylor said:
Every day for babies . In warm water checked with a thermometer . What is warm to us is way hot for them . You would be surprised how hot the water is . I checked my soak water this morning and it was 100 degrees . Thats way to hot . I'd shoot fot 80/85 degrees .

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
Okay, I use a temp gun and aim for 95 so that by the time I get her in it, it is around 90. Then it slowly cools to 85 ish. 85 does feel really cold though, I was probably cooking my Russian tortoise before I got the temp. gun.