how old is my tort?

Status
Not open for further replies.

immayo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mesa, AZ
I just wanted to add that my redfoot, who I also purchased from Tyler, is a year old and is 3 1/2 inches. Also, one of my baby hypos is only a month old and is 2inches and the one who is 2 1/2 months old is already 3 inches. As far as I was aware it is very common for redfoots to grow up to 4inches their first year and then grow about an inch every year after that.

To answer the OP's post I'd take a guess that it is somewhere between 2-5 years old.

gargonshepard

5 Year Member
My red foot was classified as a western and it was a 2011 hatchling. She is 5.5" She has grown 1/2" in the three months that i've had her. Is that to much growth for three month? Am I overfeeding? It would be great to have answers to these questions regarding heathy growth rate and what to expect.

I have only owned one redfoot, but based on that yours would be younger than mine?. Which is 3.`

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
As I said before it does appear there is some difference in most reds in the Uk and US in terms of size-something worth doing further investigation I think. You could grow 1/2 inch in 3 months, not out of the question probably a growth spurt.

loyolaboy98

5 Year Member
Chicago, Illinois
Can't tortoises just be different sizes like humans? When i got mine from my breeder he/she was in a decent sized group of torts his/her's exact age. He was atleast a half an inch larger than the rest. They were all on the same exact diet and all kept in the same conditions. Its really hard to tell a young torts age, especially when they r that age when they grow the most! I can see that tortoise being 2 years old, but i can deffinetly see it being 3 or 4.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
yes that's exactly what I was saying, reds do vary a lot in genes. As said before an average growth chart would be useful.

loyolaboy98

5 Year Member
Chicago, Illinois
So as i said mine was a larger hatchling, if he grows at a steady pace will he end up being a little larger than the average red foot like his/her brothers and sisters?

loyolaboy98

5 Year Member
Chicago, Illinois
Cool thanx for the help, and its really hard to tell how old by just asing a young tortoise on its size, im sorry we couldn't give you an exact age.

*basing

Status
Not open for further replies.