Enclosure size

Hello all my Redfoot is about 3.5 years old. She 4.5/5 inches big, and I’m upgrading her enclosure. How long would a 4ft long, 2ft wide enclosure last her? I have a friend who is willing to sell me something that size that is a really nice closed chamber set up.

Minority2

Location (City and/or State)
Tortoise Hell
Hello all my Redfoot is about 3.5 years old. She 4.5/5 inches big, and I’m upgrading her enclosure. How long would a 4ft long, 2ft wide enclosure last her? I have a friend who is willing to sell me something that size that is a really nice closed chamber set up.

An (4 x 2 ft) enclosure would be an ideal size for most hatchling tortoises. Your Red-foot on the other hand, is large enough to require an (8 x 4 ft) enclosure.

3.5 years old at 5 inches in length is a bit smaller than what I've typically seen in Red-foots. 6-8+ inches is what I used to seeing at 3 years. Other Red foot owners may be able to chime in on this.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Really...? I thought 8x4 was something a adult would need not a juvenile.

Many people have different age and size classifications. I classify most small to medium tortoise species between 1-2 year as juveniles and 2-3+ years to being young adults. Mature adults would be ones that are old enough to be sexed.

I usually follow a length guideline for enclosures:

A 2.5-3 inch tortoise that isn't a large species tortoise would get a 4 x 2 ft temporary enclosure.
A 4-5 inch growing tortoise would upgrade to an 8x 4 ft enclosure.
A 8-10 inch or larger tortoise would be permanently housed outdoors.

Red foots are a medium-sized species and would most likely require a permanent outdoor enclosure in the future. There are some instances where stunted growth Red foots, cherry heads in particular, remain a certain size like 7-9 inches. That's still small enough to stay indoors if the owner chooses to do so.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
@Minority2 is correct in that your Redfoot is unusually small for its age.
At 3.5 years, it'd be considered a sub adult.
Go as large as you are able with your enclosure.
A small enclosure will continue to stunt the growth of your tortoise.

Well housing outdoors permanently will not work, as I live in the Midwest in Michigan. She does a get a very nice large outdoor enclosure in the summer months. Not sure how I’ll fit something as large indoors at the moment

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
My redfoot was 3.5 years old when I adopted.him. He was 8.25 inches SCL at that time.