Enclosure duration

conghey

Location (City and/or State)
Manila, Philippines
How long can I use my 3ft x 2ft closed chamber enclosure? I have two. and 1 3ft x 2ft open tub

Currently I have 1 2" redfoot, 1 2" leopard and 1 3" sulcata.

Planning to put my redfoot and leopard individually in the closed chamber since they are more sensitive in humidity, while my sulcata will be placed in an open tub.

Question is how long will my enclosures last for the 3 species? Considering also selling my redfoot or adding another 1 depends on the use of enclosure.

Thanks for your time.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
You have them all in the same enclosure? If so, you need to separate them immediately! You absolutely CANNOT mix species of tortoise. That’s a huge risk for disease, and a good way to kill or weaken all of them. The redfoot and the other two require completely different care, and there is no way that they have all been receiving the correct care for that specific species if they are together.
Another red flag, is that you absolutely cannot house a sulcata in an open enclosure. It requires as much humidity as your redfoot and leopard.

Please give this a read ASAP.
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0 https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php...ealthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/
For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/
Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/
(Sadly, I don’t know of a good redfoot care sheet.)

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
What is the ambient RH where you live in the Philippines?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They all need to live by themselves. Do not mix species and they should not live in pairs. If they are hatchlings they all need a closed chamber. At 6 months to a year those enclosures will be way too small. The size now is good only for hatchlings.
Please read the links given too you. You need to restart the right way.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I read your question meaning: how soon will these tortoises outgrow these enclosures. Is that right?

The chnaces are they will work for a few years, although in some cases where you supply food in a daily abundance you might see much more growth, and then larger enclosures would be needed.

Sterant asked a good question, about your ambient humidity. If it is often 65% or higher a simple humid hide would offer a place of slightly higher humidity when they retreat into it. Outside year round might be a good consideration if you can provide a secure from predators place.

I'm thinking the Philippines might be good outdoor climate for all of them year round, but don't know if that would be true for you specifically. What is your annual weather cycle?

conghey

Manila, Philippines
Thank you all for your reply.

@Will yep, you got it right. how soon will they outgrow my 3ft x 2ft x 20in closed chamber enclosure.

By the way, as to others. Thanks guys, but just to clarify all of my tortoise are housed individually, that's why I have two closed chamber enclosure and 1 open tub. But anyway, reading your replies and everything. I've given back my leopard to the seller and sticked with my original tortoises 1 redfoot and 1 sulcata. I will place them individually on their own closed chamber enclosure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you all for your reply.

@Will yep, you got it right. how soon will they outgrow my 3ft x 2ft x 20in closed chamber enclosure.

By the way, as to others. Thanks guys, but just to clarify all of my tortoise are housed individually, that's why I have two closed chamber enclosure and 1 open tub. But anyway, reading your replies and everything. I've given back my leopard to the seller and sticked with my original tortoises 1 redfoot and 1 sulcata. I will place them individually on their own closed chamber enclosure.
If conditions are good, your babies are well hydrated and well fed, they should outgrow those little enclosures in 3-4 months.