how old?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dav3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Scotland
hey the names dave
when i got my tortoise it was 8 months old ( now 11 months) alot of people on this forum are concenered that my tortoise ( squirtle) is about 3 to 4 years old. please help how old you think my tortoise is because im 110 % positive its 11 months old

Attachments

• squirtle3.jpg
    squirtle3.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 90

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
It's possible he is 11 months but that would be a lot of growth for 11 months. My 3.5 year old leopard is only a little bigger than that.

TillyTianasMummy

5 Year Member
Hi Dave..I would definitely say your leopard is a lot older than 11 months otherwise he has grown ALOT. How big was he when you first got him? My leopard is nearly 6 years old and she is 7 inches so not a big difference in size when you compare the ages.

Kirsty

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
As a VERY loose rule of thumb, a lot of tortoises add about an inch a year in the wild (not really very accurate but a decent rough guide.)

Figure it starts at about 3", and it is about 5.5" now- its probably at least a couple-three years old.

How much has it grown in the three months you had it?

dav3

5 Year Member
Scotland
CtTortoise said:
What is it eating?

its eat the basics like lettuce and cabbage etc with a little treat now and then of fruits like peaches and about once a week i sprinkle on calcium powder

Madkins007 said:
As a VERY loose rule of thumb, a lot of tortoises add about an inch a year in the wild (not really very accurate but a decent rough guide.)

Figure it starts at about 3", and it is about 5.5" now- its probably at least a couple-three years old.

its only grew half an inch/ an inch in the past 3 months

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
Approximately 5.5 inches and less than half a pound seems off to me. Then again, growing an inch in three months seems off to me as well, but I am no expert.

Either way, good luck with your tort!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
At 260 grams and 5.5 inches, you are definitely NOT overfeeding. That is VERY light for a tortoise that size.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
By your pic your tort looks to be 4 1/2" - 4 3/4 not 5 1/2 " put your tape against a wall put your tort on top head against the wall take measurement

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Breeders and sellers will all the time claim a tort is younger than it actually is...as people like to think they are getting a baby. Unless the breeder could prove the tort was 8 months when you got it (even a timestamped photo doesn't prove it since you can alter those), all you have to work with is that you've had it for 3 months. For example, Petco seems to always say their Russian torts are a year old, even though they are wild caught and at least 4 inches, which would make it at least a few years old.

I don't think it matters how old your tort is...just ensure that it is a proper weight for its length, and track the future growth so you can make sure things are going well. I agree your tort sounds very very light for that size. It should feel like a rock of the same size when you pick it up. Are you letting it eat as much as it wants, or limiting food?

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I agree who ever sold him to you is wrong on the age. just try to put some weight on him

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
tortoisenerd said:
I don't think it matters how old your tort is...just ensure that it is a proper weight for its length, and track the future growth so you can make sure things are going well. I agree your tort sounds very very light for that size. It should feel like a rock of the same size when you pick it up.

I think this is great advice. In the end, who cares how old it is. He/she lives with you now and hopefully for a long, long time. Keep track of it's weight and length and give it as much love and attention as you can. (Which is exactly what it sounds like you are doing!)

When I got my leopard, I was told she was 3 years old. Then the vet said she looked to be 5-7. I was nervous and concerned, and then I realized it really didn't matter.

The comment that it should feel like a rock of about the same size when picked up is great advice. My girl is approximately 12 inches and approx 10 pounds. She's like a stone.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Dave:

I think the person you got the tortoise from was wrong in telling you it was 8months old. Whether it was an intentional lie or just a mistake. Your tortoise is older than a year. I'd say it was closer to two years of age.

But the tortoise is VERY smooth, so it hasn't been growing too fast and the previous owner took very good care of it for it to look like it does. So whether he had the tortoise for 8 months or 18 months, its a beauty and its all good!

NEtorts

10 Year Member!
North East
I agree with the others, my Leo is about 3yrs, and at times he will grow a ton, after last season of being outdoors he almost doubled in weight and grew about 1 1/2" he's about 4 inches ( i never measure just weigh) and about 400 grams, been acouple months since i weighed him, but he is like a little stone! I'll check on his actual growth chart for the past couple years and post it here for a little more info.......
tortseatingflower.jpg

dav3

5 Year Member
Scotland
Madkins007 said:

hey sorry its been a while since ive been on in the last three months it has grew hlaf an inch

emysemys said:
Hi Dave:

I think the person you got the tortoise from was wrong in telling you it was 8months old. Whether it was an intentional lie or just a mistake. Your tortoise is older than a year. I'd say it was closer to two years of age.

But the tortoise is VERY smooth, so it hasn't been growing too fast and the previous owner took very good care of it for it to look like it does. So whether he had the tortoise for 8 months or 18 months, its a beauty and its all good!

thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.