How quickly does pyramiding take hold

Beep-Beep

Location (City and/or State)
Hong Kong
Hello All,

I have purchased 2 redfoot juveniles 2 weeks back and yes, I now know, torts don't do well in pairs.
They are still tiny, both eat well, and have separate hiding spots and plants for their necessary "me-only" time.
I am planning to separate them fairly soon nonetheless.

I live in Hong Kong, subtropical climate with high humidity and temp. My 2 torts spend 100% of their time outdoor in an open box / enclosure. Humidity varies from anywhere in the mid 70% up to 98% , any higher, it rains cats and dogs on the torts ! Temps are at most 35C and down to 27C at night. They have ample shade with warmer / cooler zones and a water dish. They move around and pick different spots, but they do love their hideaway most.
2 baths a day at 30C, or so.

Anyway, these 2 cuties already had signs of very early pyramiding upon purchasing them. They were kept in a dry box at a shop under artificial UV with another 3 dozens of them. No idea for how long.
I simply grabbed the fastest with the largest black eyes and did not care much about the nbr of red dots and such.
The question I keep asking myself is whether my natural conditions will put a stop at the burgeoning pyramiding I see, and how can I evaluate if it is increasing or not.
See below pics taken this weekend

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg
They are called "Dumb & Dumber", the names stick in a cute way :)

Cheers,
Beep-Beep

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Somewhere in Florida
Good question. I've seen pyramiding in tortoises (including red-foot tortoises) that are as small as 2.5 to 3 inches.
The two little guys in your photos are pretty enough and there is little to worry about regarding their future growth. Yes--absolutely yes, can that minor pyramiding be corrected. Of course, whats already there is there, but as these two are so small as they grow more normally they will appear completely normal. You seem to have a good grasp on what they need so I'm not worried about them at all.

theguy67

10 Year Member!
I would say as quickly as the tortoise grows, while kept in less than ideal conditions.