How should I weight my tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Morroco
I have a problem I bought a Manual balance but today when I weight my tortoise , I got contradictory values.🫤

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
What is contradictory about them? How great was the difference if it gave you two different numbers?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
You're probably weighing too often.
Young tortoises weight can fluctuate from day to day from just food and water. Or if they recently pooped, etc. And it can be confusing.
I'd check once a month on a digital, countertop food scale.

Last edited:

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Young tortoises weight can fluctuate from day to day from just food and water. Or if they recently pooped, etc. And it can be confusing.
Suppose the tortoise is a large Sulcata? We weren't told the size...!

Morroco
I weigh it every month, but when I weigh it the first time, I get a number, and in order to make sure I weigh it again at the same moment, I get the opposite number🫤

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I only weighed a new tortoise, a rescue, or my box turtle when i first got him (1 month old) I did it to make sure they were gaining weight. I am weighing my desert box turtle every couple of months to make sure he isn't gaining too much weight. He eats a lot. I never weighed my leopard. I use a digital scale. They are very cheap on Amazon.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
It all depends on the tortoise and the size. Assumption small to medium . Buy digital kitchen scales put a bag of sugar on the scales to test accuracy. Get a ramekin dish and place on the scales and 0 value the scales. Quick place the tortoise on the ramekin and take the weight.
I weight weekly and keep a log, I find it useful to understand weight loss and gain.

Large tortoise do similar with human weight scales. Gigantic tortoise give up as too heavy to lift!

BajatheChickenMan

West Virginia
If you wanted weigh a monster sized tortoise like an adult Aldabra or Galop would you have to load it up and take it local weigh station like a recycling center or scrap yard? lol

Morroco
It all depends on the tortoise and the size. Assumption small to medium . Buy digital kitchen scales put a bag of sugar on the scales to test accuracy. Get a ramekin dish and place on the scales and 0 value the scales. Quick place the tortoise on the ramekin and take the weight.
I weight weekly and keep a log, I find it useful to understand weight loss and gain.

Large tortoise do similar with human weight scales. Gigantic tortoise give up as too heavy to lift!
Thank you