How to cheer up recovering tort after injury

monica p

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hi everybody! I'm new here but I'm not going to post pics of my tort since she's recovering from an injury that's a little graphic. :( I'll share some backstory, and then I'd love any advice on what to do next.

I adopted a young (5? 6?) marginated tortoise last year who is super active, mobile, and social with humans. Recently, she was attacked by a raccoon that got into her enclosure and lost some front claws and muscle, but fortunately no damage to her face, bones, or shell. We're following vets orders with a topical cream and keeping her inside while she recovers. The vet said she was doing really well physically and emotionally since she is still trying to be social and move around. But her hurt leg is 1) hurt! still raw, and 2) noticeably shorter than her other one. She keeps trying to walk, stumbling, and probably can't do much for a couple more weeks.

I feel sooo bad for her since she's clearly missing her mobility and playing on rocks and stuff. Does anyone have good ideas for how to comfort/pamper a tortoise and keep her from getting depressed? I'm still not clear on what fruits, if any, are ok for a marginated tortoise. But maybe fruit would be fun for her?

And about the long term, has anyone experienced a tortoise with two different length front legs? Or a limp?? I'm worried about this affecting her ability to climb and play. Also wondering if I should sew her a little platform boot while the injury is still soft to protect it, or if we should leave it exposed and let it harden up on its own. The vet said it would heal naturally so I'm mostly concerned with her comfort and happiness over the next couple months while she gets used to it, and making sure she can get back to her normal self.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
He/she is a tortoise. So there won't be any depression. But there very well might be fear and I'm sure there is pain.
I suggest letting him or her recover peacefully and without any interaction except to clean and treat the wounds.
We have several members here that have tortoises with partially or completely missing limbs. And they live great lives.

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with ZEROPILOT. They don't have human feelings and emotions like that. Tortoises do everything slow including healing. Give her time to heal and she will be fine.
Coons are out at night. Tortoises should be locked up at night into a night box or shed or even brought inside at night.
Good luck to both you and tort on the fastest recovery possible.