Injury

saginawhxc

Location (City and/or State)
Saginaw, Michigan, USA
I use $5 plastic tubs. Don't want no cardboard leaking in my car!
I finally adopted out one of my fosters last night. The woman showed up with a cardboard box. So I donated a plastic tub to haul it in.

In the subject of the thread though, don't beat yourself up too much. I suspect more of us have been there than you realize. I accidentally stepped off of the edge of a porch while holding a 20lb sulcata. Got lucky and hurt myself much more than I hurt the tortoise.

Hippy chick

Yes thats exactly what it is . Its the perfect size for my tortoise too. Im picking her up from the vets at 6 tonight. Her xray didnt reveal any fractures but she is carrying an egg. An unfertilised one of course. The vet thinks its just soft tissue trauma thats stopped her from wanting to eat. She has her feeding tube in place so i can feed her until she feels ready to eat herself. Ive got to get to work on building her a nest so she can pass her egg. I'll be glad to get her home ✌

Bee62

Germany
Yes thats exactly what it is . Its the perfect size for my tortoise too. Im picking her up from the vets at 6 tonight. Her xray didnt reveal any fractures but she is carrying an egg. An unfertilised one of course. The vet thinks its just soft tissue trauma thats stopped her from wanting to eat. She has her feeding tube in place so i can feed her until she feels ready to eat herself. Ive got to get to work on building her a nest so she can pass her egg. I'll be glad to get her home ✌

Glad to hear that your tort isn`t really hurt bad.. The feeding tube is a good thing as long as she don`t wants to eat. I hope that your tort will recover soon. My fingers are crossed.:tort::<3:

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Glad to hear that your tort isn`t really hurt bad.. The feeding tube is a good thing as long as she don`t wants to eat. I hope that your tort will recover soon. My fingers are crossed.:tort::<3:
Mine too, Chica! And toes! Rooting for your tortie's speedy recovery! And for her Mom, so that she finds in her heart place to forgive herself. Your are a GOOD TORTIE MOM Chica! Now Would you share with us the numbers on your vet bill?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Looks like you've gotten the typical bad UK pet shop advice for housing.

That "Pets At Home" bedding is dangerous. Encouraging your tortoise to eat its substrate to satisfy calcium cravings is a bad idea.

The walls of your enclosure are too low. Your tortoise will eventually figure out that it can climb out.

Did they sell you a coil bulb for UV and a ramped water bowl too?

Check these out:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Hippy chick

Wow now i feel bad . Everything i do and use for my tortoise was told to me by my local aquatics centre, who are supposed to be experts. Can you tell me what you use for your tortoises Tom? Sounds like im in need of a little help. She has a big tortoise table with a seperate bedding compartment and access to my garden. She also has a draw bridge so she can come and go from her table when she pleases. Im always getting conflicting advice from tort owners. Many use sand and many use mud so im always unsure whats best. HELP! . Ive read ypur link but still unsure.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hey Chica, until Tom has the time to chime in let me quickly tell you what most of us here use: 1) fine grade orchid bark, or 2) cypress mulch, and for babies 3) coco coir. I think you can get the coco coir in bricks that you need to rehydrate on line. It is not expensive at all. At least not here. I have coir covered with the layer of moss justImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1491578724.110882.jpg it's not planted anymore bcs my "babies" bulldoze everything the very next day:) I like to do it this way bcs it keeps things (food, water) clean

Greta16

Western Maine
Hey Chica, until Tom has the time to chime in let me quickly tell you what most of us here use: 1) fine grade orchid bark, or 2) cypress mulch, and for babies 3) coco coir. I think you can get the coco coir in bricks that you need to rehydrate on line. It is not expensive at all. At least not here. I have coir covered with the layer of moss justView attachment 204244 it's not planted anymore bcs my "babies" bulldoze everything the very next day:) I like to do it this way bcs it keeps things (food, water) clean
As soon as the snow melts I'm going out to get moss, having a hard time keeping the humidity up, especially when I'm at work..this would definately help.

Greta16

Western Maine
That being said^^( sorry, just got a little excited for a minute) I hope your Tortie has a speedy recovery!

Hippy chick

lol bless you. Oh wow Pearly that looks like tortoise heaven. Your babies are very lucky to have a momma like you. Im gona take some inspiration from your picture and make Chestnuts home as lovely as yours . Thank you xx