How to clean a used tank

doletorts

10 Year Member!
Hey guys ive had my RF since black friday and ive had him in an extremely small tank thats 36" x 12" i know this is very small and weve finally found a new tank. We have to pick it up either today or later in the week. Its 4 feet long but she never said how wide but by the pic im guessing either 18" or 24" this basically doubles his living space :). The only problem is that its not new, the lady had used it for a snake but its in great condition. My question is, how do i clean/disinfect the tank. I dont want to use a cleaner and then find out its harmful to the tort. I wont be able to respond til like 4:00 cuz i have school. Thanks :)

Saleama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Irving Texas
Very light bleach solution. Vinegar works. Iv'e even heard some people use vodka. Light solution in a spray bottle to coat and wipe down. Any of these would do as long as you make sure you wash it really good and rinse rinse rinse. After that, rinse some more and let it air dry for a day or so.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
First scrub it with soap and hot water. Rinse well.

Then apply a dilute bleach solution and let it sit for at least 20-30 minutes. Rinse very well and let it sun/air dry until you don't smell anymore bleach.

Then apply a dilute ammonia solution and let it sit 20-30 minutes. Rinse well and air dry again.

There are some tortoise pathogens that are not harmed by bleach. The ammonia kills those stragglers. The hot soapy water is important because it breaks down and removes the "protein barrier" that would otherwise protect these disease organisms from the bleach and ammonia.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I like to use chlorhexidine for disinfecting. I hate bleach...I don't even keep it in my house.

doletorts

10 Year Member!
Thanks. I spray all these right? Like with a spray bottle?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Don't ever mix bleach and ammonia. The combination makes toxic fumes.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
doletorts said:
Thanks. I spray all these right? Like with a spray bottle?

I mix each thing in a bucket and apply it that way. I scrub with the soap and water, but I just dump the bleach in and slosh it around. Then when its all rinsed and dry and no hint of any bleach left. I use a different bucket, mix my ammonia and then dump and slosh that solution.

If you do all three steps thoroughly, no disease organisms or pathogens will survive.

doletorts

10 Year Member!
Alright thank you. How would i rinse it because the tank is fairly large

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Outside, and with the hose.