How to create a large cover

SasquatchTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Forth Worth, Texas
I’ve been planning a large outdoor area for our sulcata (maybe around 15x20 feet). I’m just not sure how to cover the area for protection from large birds, opossums, etc. what would you recommend?
one more question I might throw in, How deep into the ground should fencing go to prevent digging out?

SasquatchTortoise

Forth Worth, Texas
Some of the animals around here:
Red tail hawk
mississippi kites (defensive of their nests)
opossums
raccoons (haven’t personally seen one)
cats (occasionally at night)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Maybe your wildlife is different from mine, because I have most of the same things as you, hawks, crows, coyotes, cats, raccoons, oppossum, etc. and except for one occurrence a few years back with a heavily pregnant raccoon, i haven't lost any chelonia to wildlife.

In my outdoor yards I keep small to large turtles and tortoises - box turtles, juvenile desert tortoises, Texas tortoises, young to old leopards - well, you get the picture. All of these animals are locked inside their night houses each evening and let out the next morning.

My yards are distributed around my one acre plot of land and are not covered.

SasquatchTortoise

Forth Worth, Texas
Maybe your wildlife is different from mine, because I have most of the same things as you, hawks, crows, coyotes, cats, raccoons, oppossum, etc. and except for one occurrence a few years back with a heavily pregnant raccoon, i haven't lost any chelonia to wildlife.

In my outdoor yards I keep small to large turtles and tortoises - box turtles, juvenile desert tortoises, Texas tortoises, young to old leopards - well, you get the picture. All of these animals are locked inside their night houses each evening and let out the next morning.

My yards are distributed around my one acre plot of land and are not covered.
Thanks. I’ll make sure to build a secure box

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I’ve been planning a large outdoor area for our sulcata (maybe around 15x20 feet). I’m just not sure how to cover the area for protection from large birds, opossums, etc. what would you recommend?
one more question I might throw in, How deep into the ground should fencing go to prevent digging out?
What size sulcata? If its more than about 5 inches, then you don't need to worry about predators and a lid. Just have a night box to keep them warm and safe. Latch them in every night, and open the door every morning. Something like this:

If its less than 8-10 inches, it should still be living mostly indoors at night and during inclement weather.

Sulcatas don't "dig out". Many of them don't dig at all, but if they do dig, they dig a burrow at an angle down and use that one tunnel. They don't dig down and then back up at another angle. I have never once buried any kind of underground barrier in 30 years of housing sulcatas.