how to distinguish tort sex

Status
Not open for further replies.

HtVic

5 Year Member
I am wondering can you distinguish sex of a tort when they are still a baby?
I see some online pet stores they are selling a pair(male/female hatchling) for lower price.
that's weird, I thought you can't tell whether the tortoise is girl or boy when they are still small or you can?:tort:

by the way, I am looking to buy food and water dish(link below)
what size should I get? is small enough? I am thinking eventually they will grow up, no use to spend more money to get another one, so can I buy the large one in the beginning?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006L14C6/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
The gender of a tortoise is determined by the temperature the eggs were incubated at. Assuming this was in an incubator, there can be a reasonable degree of hope that it's accurate.

TBH unless I was dealing with a known and trusted breeder direct, I would consider it to be anyone's guess when they are very small.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
TSD-Temperature sex determination, is not a 100% guarantee whatsoever. I incubate all Testudo eggs at higher temperatures (88-90 degrees) to produce female offspring. Yet at these temperatures overall 1 male is being born for about every 4-5 females. The opposite is true of eggs incubated at lower temperatures, below 86 degrees. Mid range temperatures should usually produce a mix of both genders.

There is no way to guarantee the gender of a hatchling tortoise. Some species can be accurately sexed once they're around 2", some take longer to develop. Some individuals may also take longer than others also, so even what may have been an "accurately sexed" tortoise of one gender could actually not be.

The only way to get a certain gender for sure is to buy a tortoise large enough to be certain of.

tortuga_please

5 Year Member
You can buy a larger tortoise or use blood typing, but that is of course somewhat pricey. When they are small there is no way to know for sure and most sites/breeders state quite clearly that they cannot guarantee the gender of juveniles.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
And for water bowls, the best thing I have found is a terra cotta plant saucer from any hardware or garden store. I have never seen anything I would even use for a tortoise in a pet store.

HtVic

5 Year Member
thanks guys
so I shouldn't trust them, otherwise I probably end up buying two male or female.
and tortoises are very expensive in here
but I really want a male and female tho, because of the price, I can't just buy three or four...sigh...

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
"And for water bowls, the best thing I have found is a terra cotta plant saucer from any hardware or garden store. I have never seen anything I would even use for a tortoise in a pet store."

I agree!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can sometimes go by the shape of the anal scutes, but even that is a guessing game.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
GBtortoises said:
TSD-Temperature sex determination, is not a 100% guarantee whatsoever. I incubate all Testudo eggs at higher temperatures (88-90 degrees) to produce female offspring. Yet at these temperatures overall 1 male is being born for about every 4-5 females. The opposite is true of eggs incubated at lower temperatures, below 86 degrees. Mid range temperatures should usually produce a mix of both genders.

There is no way to guarantee the gender of a hatchling tortoise. Some species can be accurately sexed once they're around 2", some take longer to develop. Some individuals may also take longer than others also, so even what may have been an "accurately sexed" tortoise of one gender could actually not be.

The only way to get a certain gender for sure is to buy a tortoise large enough to be certain of.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.