How to get dandelions to bloom indoors?

elainelw

Location (City and/or State)
Leesburg
Anyone had success getting dandelions to bloom indoors? I live in an apartment. I've been able to get clover and African violets to bloom indoors under a grow light but my dandelions have been growing for almost a year and have yet to bloom. They get about 10 hours of light everyday and fertilizer once a month. My Russian tortoise really loves flowers, so any tips would be appreciated!
IMG_3051.JPG

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Dandelion roots are notoriously long - but once they have finally established themselves in a very deep container, they will produce leaves constantly, and these are just as good for your tortoise as the flowers.
Maybe picking some of the leaves you have
would even encourage the plants to flower. If you know anyone who has some dandelions in their garden,they might be delighted for you to dig some up to replant , but you would need to get the whole root system up for them to grow.
Angie

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Are you in Leesburg, as in Virginia? You need to find a friend with a big garden who doesn’t spray!

Seriously, as you know, dandelions really pop up in mid-Spring and early Summer with the heat. They love the heat, sunshine & water. Early on in the year they pop up everywhere and grow like gangbusters. Not so much later on in the Season.

So, if you are trying from seed, once you have leaves, go with high heat, long hours of daylight. Maybe cut down on any fertilizers since ferts promote vegetative growth. You want them to grow fast, produce blooms so they have seeds to spread.

Good luck