How to give oral medication

Sydgeo21

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Hello all, I took my new tortoise to the vet for a wellness check since I didn’t know anything Heath wise about him. His fecal came back with one parasite that I will be picking up medication for tomorrow. The vet said it’s an oral medication, what’s the best way to give this because I cannot get his mouth open and I don’t want to hurt him trying

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I put the worm medicine on my tort's favorite food a smaller sized piece of food (Cucumber, dried off to hold meds.) nothing else. I fed him later than normal. He ate it with the medicine on it and then I fed him regular. He was a rescue and wasn't handled. My opinion I am not an expert. Good luck

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Although cucumber isn't a regular food ,my tort loves it, so I cut several thin slices and put drops of the medicine on those until the measured dose had gone.
I wouldn't try squirting it directly into his mouth in case enters his lungs.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
What type of tortoise? What was the count for the eggs seen in fecal? What type of worm was found? If pinworm, that is not necessarily in need of treatment if a low count. ("rare" or "Low") With good enclosure care and spot cleaning and a tortoise by itself, a low load of pinworms is considered by many beneficial gut flora. With poor hygiene and crowded space, reinfection can be constant and loads can build too high, so then treatment is considered beneficial. Personally, I don't treat for pinworms unless the load is high on the fecal results.

If you are treating, it will probably be fenbenzadole. The easiest way is if your tortoise has become used to Mazuri pellets, they eat it eagerly. So you can put the dose of panacur (fenbenzadole) on the Mazuri pellet and let the tortoise eat it. Just be sure it eats all the treated food to get the correct dose.

The second easiest, is to use a dosing needle and offer the tortoise some food. While it opens its mouth to eat a bite, you can quickly place the needle into the mouth. Then insert and dose.

The more stubborn tortoise may need you to gently pry open the mouth. A reptile speculum is the tool of choice. Use it to gently force the mouth open, then insert the dosing needle and deliver the dose.

Just 10 days ago I was watching the keeper at the Gladys Porter Zoo use both of the last 2 methods with their younger Galapagos tortoises. They prophylactically treat regularly as they keep a group together in a confined area.