How to Imrpove my Outdoor Enclosure?

suho123

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hello everyone! This is my first post so let me know if I'm missing any details.

I want some feedback on my outdoor enclosure for my Russian tortoise. It's about 8ft by 8ft. The bottom in coco coir with some cypress mulch, pretty deep so he can burrow (the bottom has chicken wire so he can't dig out.

The outside Temps get to about 80/85, and if it gets hotter, I bring him in. There is access to shade, water, and edible plants .

I've noticed he usually just burrows and doesn't come out much, so I'm worried this is not a good enclosure. Any tips?

Attachments

• 20240626_091644.jpg
    20240626_091644.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
  • 20240626_091637.jpg
    20240626_091637.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I'd put something over the plywood so that it's shaded all day. Even though part of it's shaded, the part in the sun will get hot still. Prob also raise the plywood so that its not sitting directly on the walls, even a small gap will allow airflow.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello everyone! This is my first post so let me know if I'm missing any details.

I want some feedback on my outdoor enclosure for my Russian tortoise. It's about 8ft by 8ft. The bottom in coco coir with some cypress mulch, pretty deep so he can burrow (the bottom has chicken wire so he can't dig out.

The outside Temps get to about 80/85, and if it gets hotter, I bring him in. There is access to shade, water, and edible plants .

I've noticed he usually just burrows and doesn't come out much, so I'm worried this is not a good enclosure. Any tips?
It can take some time for them to get comfortable in a new area. Weeks or months in some cases. Don't worry too much.

I would add more tortoise safe plants, another terra cotta saucer sunk into the substrate for water, and an underground cave style retreat.

Also, Russians can tolerate a wide range of temperatures. 65 and sunny is good for them. When temps climb into the 90s they will hide all day to avoid overheating, but as long as there is heavy shade and/or an underground retreat, they can stay outside. Its normal for tortoise to hide from the sun mid day. Its very hot and UV levels in summer are very high.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Welcome from LA! what part of CA are you in? That looks like a really good start. Depending on if your Russian is a climber, s/he may push back on the lid if they are able to get that high.

I would try to add more plants as well. Here is mine just for reference... Fortunately my guy is not a climber...

Attachments

• IMG_7013.jpg
    IMG_7013.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_8052.jpg
    IMG_8052.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Welcome from LA! what part of CA are you in? That looks like a really good start. Depending on if your Russian is a climber, s/he may push back on the lid if they are able to get that high.

I would try to add more plants as well. Here is mine just for reference... Fortunately my guy is not a climber...
Is that a hippo plant pot? It’s SO cute!!❤️

Love that enclosure btw!

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
LOL, yes I have a few - Hippo and Snail, but no tortoise yet! Talavera pottery is very popular here but it can be expensive unless you stumble across it used...

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
LOL, yes I have a few - Hippo and Snail, but no tortoise yet! Talavera pottery is very popular here but it can be expensive unless you stumble across it used...
Its gorgeous! I love the colours! And omg I collect snail ornaments! That sounds amazing🥰🐌

Definitely keep your eye out for a tortoise! That would be perfect😂❤️