How to keep out Raccons!

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
North East
Have you ever had problems finding them? I love the lock up box idea I am just concerned I won't be able to find them to put them away like box turtles and Russians that like to dig into the substate.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
They've always gone into their houses on their own.

Levi (the leopard in the photo) always puts himself away. He's so good about it..

The other juvenile leopards I had, the 3 legged CDT and the Russians always did too.

In the beginning I had to find them and put them in their house. Then I'd simply open the door in the morning and let them come out on their own. Repeated that every day and within no time at all they were going into the houses on their own.

I recently moved and even in my new yard, Levi went into his house on the first night, all by himself :)

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
They've always gone into their houses on their own.

Levi (the leopard in the photo) always puts himself away. He's so good about it..

The other juvenile leopards I had, the 3 legged CDT and the Russians always did too.

In the beginning I had to find them and put them in their house. Then I'd simply open the door in the morning and let them come out on their own. Repeated that every day and within no time at all they were going into the houses on their own.

I recently moved and even in my new yard, Levi went into his house on the first night, all by himself :)

Thanks! That sounds like my best option if I want a large outdoor enclosure.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
My enclosures have always been too large and planted (with tall plants, bushes, trees etc..) to cover with full lids.

I look at it this way...
A large, well planted enclosure gives them plenty of cover/hiding spots from day predators and the locked box/house gives them protection from night predators.

Keep in mind, I don't have dogs. But even if I did, I'd probably choose to divide the yard with a tall fence rather than try and create a complete cover. Every situation is different though. In my case, this set up has worked wonderfully.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Coons are terrible little monsters, the only real way is to eliminate them. Baring that a very strong night box, or a completly contained enclosure.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
Great! I need to rid the everglades of raccoons. The only way I know to do that is to let the pythons there go like crazy!!

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth

Is that latch all that you use to secure the door? Are there any known raccoons in your area?

It's one of those things that you will probably fine most of the time, but if I know there are racoons around (and there isn't another first line of defense) I wouldn't trust anything less than an actual locking mechanism with either a key or combination.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I used to use latches with key locks....it was a pain but I had regular night time predators.

Now, I just use this latch. I'm in a different area and don't have the same level of wildlife visitors... but thanks for pointing that out. I should add that a more secure latch/lock should be used for greater protection.

enchilada

10 Year Member!
Newport Beach CA
i hang a dried racoon tail as warning sign. worked pretty good. no racoons dare to return since last bloody battle between me and them

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
Yeah, I started using the night boxes recently myself, installed this past winter while my marginateds were brumating. I've always hated raccoons, and I still leave catfood out in a trap to get them off my property. I take them twelve miles out onto the property of a friend who likes to hunt them with his hounds for sport. Kinda like fox hunting. He has a cozy little abandoned shed out by this creek that runs through his ranch where we release them during the day. They generally take immediate refuge in the dark shed. At nightfall, he goes out hunting when they're in season. And as they say in Texas, coon season occurs when you find a raccoon and shoot the damned thing.

I don't know, I usually have a live and let live policy when it comes to wildlife. For instance, when I catch opossums in the trap, I let them go, given that I've never had one try to pry his way into one of my enclosures. However, when it comes to raccoons, I just can't help it. They kill tortoises, and will take every opportunity to do so. I hate them, and I want them gone. I don't want to kill them myself if I can help it, but if my friend wants to hunt them for sport, I can live with that. It's too bad that fur has become so taboo in our modern culture. I mean, sure, don't kill the cute little chinchillas, but if I could get say $20 for a raccoon pelt, that would be totally awesome. I'd get over my reservations about butchering them real quick. They are honestly a species I wouldn't mind seeing hunted to extinction. Certainly, that would probably be bad for the ecosystem, but that's how much I hate them. Ecosystem be damned. I want every one of those mask wearing monsters to be hunted down and exterminated for the tortoise torturing, trashcan raiding bums that they are.

T.G.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
To be honest I just brought mine in at night, only raccons with blow torches scare me now.

enchilada

10 Year Member!
Newport Beach CA
Yeah, I started using the night boxes recently myself, installed this past winter while my marginateds were brumating. I've always hated raccoons, and I still leave catfood out in a trap to get them off my property. I take them twelve miles out onto the property of a friend who likes to hunt them with his hounds for sport. Kinda like fox hunting. He has a cozy little abandoned shed out by this creek that runs through his ranch where we release them during the day. They generally take immediate refuge in the dark shed. At nightfall, he goes out hunting when they're in season. And as they say in Texas, coon season occurs when you find a raccoon and shoot the damned thing.

I don't know, I usually have a live and let live policy when it comes to wildlife. For instance, when I catch opossums in the trap, I let them go, given that I've never had one try to pry his way into one of my enclosures. However, when it comes to raccoons, I just can't help it. They kill tortoises, and will take every opportunity to do so. I hate them, and I want them gone. I don't want to kill them myself if I can help it, but if my friend wants to hunt them for sport, I can live with that. It's too bad that fur has become so taboo in our modern culture. I mean, sure, don't kill the cute little chinchillas, but if I could get say $20 for a raccoon pelt, that would be totally awesome. I'd get over my reservations about butchering them real quick. They are honestly a species I wouldn't mind seeing hunted to extinction. Certainly, that would probably be bad for the ecosystem, but that's how much I hate them. Ecosystem be damned. I want every one of those mask wearing monsters to be hunted down and exterminated for the tortoise torturing, trashcan raiding bums that they are.

T.G.
Aint racoons almost hunt Bog turtles into extinction? i say a .22 is the best racoon solution

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
I wasn't sold on the python release until the words "man eating super snakes" entered the conversation.

T.G.

enchilada

10 Year Member!
Newport Beach CA
I wasn't sold on the python release until the words "man eating super snakes" entered the conversation.

T.G.
“man eating snake"......no big deal. "snake eating men" will eat them to oblivion lol.

img_3169.jpg