Location (City and/or State)
Mty, México
Hi!
I am a proud owner of a Texas tortoise (female, around 3 years of age)

I know that their species doesn't need a lot of water, but I'd like to encourage her to drink more. She only drinks very small amounts, maybe twice a week.

Do any of you have any tips?

chubu

oman
Hi!

I know that their species doesn't need a lot of water, but I'd like to encourage her to drink more. She only drinks very small amounts, maybe twice a week.

Hello! Im no expert but I have had the same problem. Soaks helped a lot and putting water on a bottle cap while handing to my tortoise made them drink water more.

Even tho the bottle cap is small amount of water, i keep refilling and giving them until they walk away and that worked. Now they randomly go and drink on their own.

laki

Belgrade
Hi!

Soak her everyday in shallow water so she can stay hydrated, she knows how much she'll need to drink, but soaking is important for old skin, her shell and of course hydratation :)

Starmar

Myrtle Beach, SC
Hi!

You could try soaking her in a shallow dish of water for about 20 to 30 minutes a couple times a week for peace of mind. Tortoises can absorb water through the cloaca as well as drinking it. Just don’t let her get cold while she is wet. Just a thought.

RedFootedTorts

Florida
Hi!

Maybe try feeding veggies that are really watery. Cucumber doesn’t have much nutritional value but it does have a lot of water in it which can help hydrate. Some cacti might also help.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I so wish I had a Texas tort...welcome...y'all are talking about shallow water. I put the warm water at their 'bridge' that's where the carapace (top shell) and the plastron bottom shell meet, then I add just a pinch more water. They will think they are drowning and will struggle, hopefully pooping in that water, then you change it and soak the tort some. Some water soaks in the soft spot under the soft neck, and it also soaks in their cloaca, just because you think they are not drinking they mostly are. I would soak a Texas tort daily in the hot summer months

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Some tortoises only drink from running water. Set the running hose in front of your tortoise and see if it likes that.