My Sulcata doesn't like water! Doesn't drink, hates to soak!

Diesel Dogtoise

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
"Diesel" is a healthy 25 lb Sulcata, age unknown. He's an enthusiastic eater, but refuses to drink water. Just not thirsty! I give him dishes of fresh water, I've tried floating some romaine pieces in there to trick him into drinking, etc. Just not interested. I've tried soaking him in a large plastic tub but he just tries desperately to climb out. Hates soaking! I have to assume he's getting enough water from the food he eats (mostly big piles of long grasses I pull from another part of my property, some veggies, a little fruit, etc.) as I've not seen him actually drink more than a couple times in the more than two years I've had him!

His urates are rather thick and whitish lately, although he does also occasionally urinate the normal watery type. Overall he's healthy, handsome and quite active, with a yard large enough that he probably assumes he's escaped! Should I be concerned about his refusal to actively drink water? And if so, does anyone have any tricks that might work?

IMG_8784.JPG

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Hi and welcome. Resistance to soaks is normal. However over time and persistence they become familiar and will sit still and drink. High sided container is a good start, now look at water temp I have a digital temp gun and aim for 33 C. 90 F. Shallow water only and step away,. Initially I stood back and monitored to avoid hovering. Now I have a placid tortoise who drinks for first 30 mins or so and then starts agitating. Please keep trying as it is 100% worth it.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Another idea is to put a favourite flower like a dandelions or hybiscus in the clean water they will consume water and I wash all food to encourage water intake.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My young grand daughter doesn't like food, will only eat chocolate. . .

But really, just always have water available to him in a low sided plant saucer. Spritz water over his food. Soak him daily in a container he can't climb out of and leave him in there for 45 minutes to an hour. You will eventually desensitize him.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
... but refuses to drink water. Just not thirsty!
How do you know he isn't drinking when you aren't there watching?

I've tried soaking him in a large plastic tub but he just tries desperately to climb out. Hates soaking!
This is called the tortoise treadmill, and he doesn't "hate soaking". That is a human emotion. He's just trying to go elsewhere. Leave him in there. Keep the water warm. Be sure the sides of the container are too tall for him to see out, and let him exercise.

I have to assume he's getting enough water from the food he eats
This would be an incorrect assumption, and the consistency of his urates confirms that it is an incorrect assumption.

(mostly big piles of long grasses I pull from another part of my property, some veggies, a little fruit, etc.) as I've not seen him actually drink more than a couple times in the more than two years I've had him!
Cut the grass with regular scissors into 3-4 inch pieces. What veggies? Skip the fruit because it is not good for their GI tract flora and fauna. I rarely see my tortoises drink too.

His urates are rather thick and whitish lately, although he does also occasionally urinate the normal watery type. Overall he's healthy, handsome and quite active, with a yard large enough that he probably assumes he's escaped! Should I be concerned about his refusal to actively drink water? And if so, does anyone have any tricks that might work?
Thick urates indicate a problem. This has led to the death of many tortoises, and its easily preventable. Here are some tips:
1. Add opuntia to the diet regularly. It is very high in water content, calcium and fiber. Great tortoise food.
2. Mix in a head of wet romaine or cucumber with his grass pile. And wet the grass pile too.
3. Wet all of the foods you feed him.
Add humidity to the heated night box. Try to get it up to 80% in there. This will help prevent water loss through respiration. Be sure your night box is maintaining 80 degrees all night when you do this.
4. Soak him in a large opaque tub with tall sides that he can't see out of. Soak for 30-40 minutes normally and 60 minutes for the next few times, to really flush him out and get him hydrated. Keep the water warm the whole time.

Diesel Dogtoise

Los Angeles
Hi and welcome. Resistance to soaks is normal. However over time and persistence they become familiar and will sit still and drink. High sided container is a good start, now look at water temp I have a digital temp gun and aim for 33 C. 90 F. Shallow water only and step away,. Initially I stood back and monitored to avoid hovering. Now I have a placid tortoise who drinks for first 30 mins or so and then starts agitating. Please keep trying as it is 100% worth it.
Great advice! I got him a large mixing bin (for concrete, drywall mud, etc. Lowes $16: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Creative-P...x-36-in-L-x-8-in-D-Drywall-Mud-Pan/1000642569
) that's too high for him to see over unless he stands up on his front legs. But I've soaked him the last few days and he doesn't fight it when I put him in...he DRINKS!!! And POOPS! and PEES! and DRINKS! Ooops! gotta pull him out before he drinks and recycles all thar poop and pee. I wash him off after taking him out of the water trough. Lookin' good! Thanks!

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Great advice! I got him a large mixing bin (for concrete, drywall mud, etc. Lowes $16: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Creative-P...x-36-in-L-x-8-in-D-Drywall-Mud-Pan/1000642569
) that's too high for him to see over unless he stands up on his front legs. But I've soaked him the last few days and he doesn't fight it when I put him in...he DRINKS!!! And POOPS! and PEES! and DRINKS! Ooops! gotta pull him out before he drinks and recycles all thar poop and pee. I wash him off after taking him out of the water trough. Lookin' good! Thanks!
Great news and thanks for the feedback. Keep it going.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I have shallow dishes out for Opo. He is almost 5 and I have only seen him drink a few times during soaks. I do feed him cactus often. During the hot summer months, I will take zucchini and since I am diabetic. I use a syringe and fill the zucchini with water. When he urinates his urates are pasty or none.
Quite awhile ago I was worried about him getting enough water. Tom gave me a few suggestions like you. Now I don't worry about it.