How to make your sulcata grow a bit faster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tortoise Princess

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Manila, Philippines
Dear All:

Hi im Princess from the Philippines. I have young sulcata (approximately more than a year) which i bought last May. So far things are okay. She's been eating a lot and poops ang urinates regularly. She's grown at least 60g since May, but she's at close to 200g only. im thinking she's a bit small compared to the yearilngs i see in this forum.

Here's her care regimen:

Temp: 80F at day, around 70F at night
Humidity: 80- 95 24/7
Diet - hibiscus leaves daily, mustard greens, ocassional grass
Supplementation - i leave a block of cuttlebone in the enclosure that she munches on whenever she likes
Soaking/misting - misting 3 times a day; soaking at least 30min to 1 hour

I thought of buying mazuri but it's not available here locally, and i not sure how i can get and importing might be costly. Do you have any suggestions if i can make a "home-made" mazuri??

Thanks

Attachments

• My sully.JPG
    My sully.JPG
    610.6 KB · Views: 163

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
What a beautiful lil guy you have there. It looks like you are doing everything fine. I wouldn't worry about his weight so long as he's eating and doing everything else fine. He'll grow larger--trust me. About the home made mazuri, I can't help you with that but if anyone has something, please chime in.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Growth looks good. I would not rush it. No reason to.
Your diet could use a lot more variety. What you are feeding is good, but there are a million other things you could feed too. How about some clover or alfalfa for a little more plant protein? Weeds? I KNOW you have some good weeds over there. And I think grass should be fed daily. You can chop it up and top the other stuff with it.
Your night temp concerns me. 70 is too low in my opinion with that much humidity. I shoot for 80.

Tortoise Princess

5 Year Member
Manila, Philippines
Tom said:
Growth looks good. I would not rush it. No reason to.
Your diet could use a lot more variety. What you are feeding is good, but there are a million other things you could feed too. How about some clover or alfalfa for a little more plant protein? Weeds? I KNOW you have some good weeds over there. And I think grass should be fed daily. You can chop it up and top the other stuff with it.
Your night temp concerns me. 70 is too low in my opinion with that much humidity. I shoot for 80.

Thanks. Will push it to at 80F, there had been some heavy rains in here and it came a bit cold this week.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ooh. Be careful. That is the sort of thing that can cause a respiratory infection... Cold, wet weather...

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
I would raise the day temp. to 90-95F and night temp. to 80F. Sun will make a big difference in growth!

leonardo the tmnt

5 Year Member
Tortoise Princess said:
Thanks. Will push it to at 80F, there had been some heavy rains in here and it came a bit cold this week.

Be very carefull cold+humidity=problems

Status
Not open for further replies.