Baby sulcata health

Ifeltfree

Location (City and/or State)
Elizabethtown
I need help determining what I need to do for my baby sulcata. He is aprox 7 months old. He has stopped eating (at least 2 weeks), haven't seen a bowel movement, and he doesn't seem as active. I have him in a big cement mix tub I purchased from Lowe's, reptibark bedding, has a humid hut with peat moss, basking light with 100 temps, uvb strip light and uva blue bulb staying about 80 degrees, misting 2 times daily, soaking in vitamin soaks for 15-20 mins every other day. I have offered multiple types of greens, grass from the yard, banana, watermelon, aloe, jade plant, Timothy hay in coffee grinder, and grassland pellets wetted down. I work at a vet clinic and have dewormed him with panacure,l and gave him a b12 injection. Could this be brumation?

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I need help determining what I need to do for my baby sulcata. He is aprox 7 months old. He has stopped eating (at least 2 weeks), haven't seen a bowel movement, and he doesn't seem as active. I have him in a big cement mix tub I purchased from Lowe's, reptibark bedding, has a humid hut with peat moss, basking light with 100 temps, uvb strip light and uva blue bulb staying about 80 degrees, misting 2 times daily, soaking in vitamin soaks for 15-20 mins every other day. I have offered multiple types of greens, grass from the yard, banana, watermelon, aloe, jade plant, Timothy hay in coffee grinder, and grassland pellets wetted down. I work at a vet clinic and have dewormed him with panacure,l and gave him a b12 injection. Could this be brumation?
I am not sure if it is brumation. But I would be soaking him twice a day for about 30 min if not longer until you can get that bowel moving. Also not sure if the B12 was a good idea as the experts on here generally advise against vitamin injections as they do more harm than good.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sulcatas don't brumate.

the most common cause for a tortoise to stop eating is because he's not warm enough. Can you measure the floor of the enclosure all over the whole enclosure and let us know the temperatures?

Ifeltfree

Elizabethtown
I had called a herp vet near me and he recommended the b12 and panacure. The enclosure depth is between 6-8 inches. The basking area stays around high 90s to 100. The cool side stays low 80s.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

Ifeltfree

Elizabethtown
My baby actually passed away today ): I had got him from a reptile expo breeder and reading the hatchling failure syndrome leads me to believe that is what happened to my little guy... the booth I got him from had a tank with many babies in it, no bedding, no light/ heat source, no water. And they didn't seem to keen on answering my questions. But I went against my judgement and got, what I thought to be, the healthiest, clear eyed, most active one. I feel awful tho, like I didn't do something right. But I have researched and researched before and while I had my guy.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
My baby actually passed away today ): I had got him from a reptile expo breeder and reading the hatchling failure syndrome leads me to believe that is what happened to my little guy... the booth I got him from had a tank with many babies in it, no bedding, no light/ heat source, no water. And they didn't seem to keen on answering my questions. But I went against my judgement and got, what I thought to be, the healthiest, clear eyed, most active one. I feel awful tho, like I didn't do something right. But I have researched and researched before and while I had my guy.

Oh no, that’s terrible! I’m sorry for your loss :(