how to succesfully mating burmese star tortoise?

tortolov

Location (City and/or State)
oklahoma
so, june 29th my CB female burmese star(A) weighted 3000 gr/25 cm lay one egg and obviously it's infertile since i only have 2 female burmese star.
burmese no 2 (B) is slow growth and only weighted 2100 gr/20 cm now.

then on july 4th i got one WC male burmese star (1100 gr/17 cm)

this week male keep following the female (mostly A), but seems A and B not interested at all.
sometimes if A is cornered, male can get on A back side and sometime make noise but don't think it's successful as the tail not locked.

so i wonder if
- the male is too small in size?
- shall i put the male and A in smaller area?
- any other suggestion?
- how long from successful mating to egg laying?

thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
so, june 29th my CB female burmese star(A) weighted 3000 gr/25 cm lay one egg and obviously it's infertile since i only have 2 female burmese star.
burmese no 2 (B) is slow growth and only weighted 2100 gr/20 cm now.

then on july 4th i got one WC male burmese star (1100 gr/17 cm)

this week male keep following the female (mostly A), but seems A and B not interested at all.
sometimes if A is cornered, male can get on A back side and sometime make noise but don't think it's successful as the tail not locked.

so i wonder if
- the male is too small in size?
- shall i put the male and A in smaller area?
- any other suggestion?
- how long from successful mating to egg laying?

thanks
There are no WC platynota in this country, or any other country for that matter. They are extinct in the wild, and have been since before 2010. Who told you it was WC?

Personally, I would keep them all separated until Female B gets over 3000 grams, and then I'd put them all together.

That male should be large enough to get the job done, though he is still on the small side.

Usually around 30 days from mating to egg laying, with mature animals.

Females seem to lay both in summer and in winter, unlike any other species I have bred. Diapause your eggs for 4-6 weeks at room temperature in your house (65-80F) before incubation.

Use vermiculite at a one to one ratio, by WIEGHT, with water. So 300 grams of vermiculite mixed with 300 grams of water. I incubate at a constant 88 degrees and get almost 100% hatch rates every time.

More info here:

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Maybe you would be wise to post pictures of your tortoises. Let them be positively ID from the experienced, seeing you were possibly told incorrectly about the male.

tortolov

oklahoma
@wellington thanks for tagging and @Tom thanks for replying, i've read a lot of your awesome post here.

sorry, my location info on bio is wrong, i cannot update it though. i'm from and in southeast asia.
the seller told me it's wc, and somehow believe it since the patttern is different from CB that usually i saw here.
don't know if my thought correct or not, the carapace is not smooth and yellow pattern is larger, i thought it's because not excessively given nutrition so the growth ring can keep up with the yellow spot growth.

below some pic for ref male+A and male+B

IMG_7218.jpegIMG_7213.jpeg

so all i have to do is just separate B then just wait and monitor right?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We've seen pictures of this other color type from Asia before. Its pretty neat, but I don't think it has anything to do with how they are fed.

If it is wild caught, it would be one of the last ones ever, and it would have to be from before 2010.

jcase

Platinum Tortoise Club
Pittsboro, NC
We've seen pictures of this other color type from Asia before. Its pretty neat, but I don't think it has anything to do with how they are fed.

If it is wild caught, it would be one of the last ones ever, and it would have to be from before 2010.
I know I'm late to the game on this post. I haven't heard much from Myanmar since the latest war broke out. I'm curious if it has gotten worse again. Indeed unlikely to be WC but didn't they do several re introductions? They did at least one in 2016. Did they fail?

Last I heard, burmese stars were being routed as proof re introduction works. :/

zovick

10 Year Member!
I know I'm late to the game on this post. I haven't heard much from Myanmar since the latest war broke out. I'm curious if it has gotten worse again. Indeed unlikely to be WC but didn't they do several re introductions? They did at least one in 2016. Did they fail?

Last I heard, burmese stars were being routed as proof re introduction works. :/
Yes, the tortoise(s) may have been caught and taken from one of the areas where they have been releasing head-started youngsters in Myanmar. An unsuspecting smuggler could very easily think it was a wild animal which he had collected