How to transform a display case into a tortoise enclosure. ...

melissah

I've recently acquired an old store display case it's 8ft long by 4ft wide (I didn't measure the depth) the front is a thick glass, the sides are wood, the back is glass doors. I need to construct a top for it and clean the whole thing up but it's very nice even has electricity. What I'm wondering is what I can either paint the inside with or line the inside with so the humidity and moisture won't warp the wood...... any suggestions? A friend of mine told me about a spray that turns to a plastic when it drys, I'm just not sure how safe it would be for my tortoise. I don't want to use the wrong thing and have some crazy chemicals coming off it. Anyone have any pointers or tips?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
For lack of anything else, back when we were making aquariums with 1" high grade plywood on the back and sides, the, "word on the street" was that any lead-free marine paint was okay to use. I've never tried this myself, but you could always make a box of wood, seal the seams and paint the inside. Once dry, if it is chemical odor free, fill with water and ad a feederfish or goldfish to it and check the results. If you keep the water clean of fish wastes and the fish lives 10-14 days I'd hazard a guess that it's fine to use.
There was also a thread here about using that black plastic type sealer. "As Seen On TV" the poster seems to have had good results. Or, you could just go the route of me and use multiple coats of mineral oil to seal the wood. Keep us up to date, maybe with a new thread, regarding what you end up using and the results, ok?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
As an old sailor / sailboat racer, I used a lot of marine paint on boats, but have shied away from it in aquariums and tortoise enclosures. Of course the lead issue Ken relates to, but certainly bottom paint has powerful anti fouling chemicals to discourage any growth on the bottom. Topside, paints tend to have mold inhibitors, etc.

The two part epoxy paints are great, but expensive and messy to work with. You also have the limited "pot life" while applying to deal with. They are completely safe, however.

Fiberglass is safe, but not a good choice as it will not adhere properly to wood.

I have had great luck with countertop paint. Rustoleum makes a countertop paint that can be colored to your choice, and is food safe. It simply paints on, and I usually use 2 coats. Needs to air out for about a week before use. It is what I will use in my next enclosures as I feel it the best product for this use I have found so far.

melissah

Thank's you guys for the helpful advice and tips! Would these things apply or I guess adhere to formica (hope I spelled that right) the inside bottom I was told appears to be formica. It's solid, no cracks or chips, but left as is I'm not sure how it would hold up to the constant humidity and moisture.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
formica. It's solid, no cracks or chips, but left as is I'm not sure how it would hold up to the constant humidity and moisture.
This question has more to do with the adhesive used to place the Formica. Unless it's a water based adhesive, it should withstand the moisture. That said, the heat could cause it to release nasty fumes that could be harmful.