Howdy from Lake Powell! :)

Ginja

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I am a brand new tortoise mom to a 10 year old desert tortoise! Hoping to learn how to take great care of him from all the awesome advice around here!

My first question is, is he just a "desert tortoise" or are there specific breeds of desert tortoise?
Here's a picture of my new baby! CYMERA_20170820_214003.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Very cute tort. I don't know much about them so I can't answer your question. Seems like I have heard of two different kind, but not sure. Others will be able to positivity answer.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

There are two species now. Gopherus agassizii and Gopherus morafkai. Morafkai is the Sonoran Desert tortoise and is all over AZ. Agassizii is the CA or Mojave reset tortoise. Care for both is the same.

Make sure your tortoise has a cool underground retreat to escape the heat of the day. You can use sprinklers, shade cloth and misters to keep temps down too. Here is another member's thread on this topic from earlier today:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/temp-control.160330/

Care for this species is identical to russian tortoise care too, except more grass and cacti in the diet for DTs.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Here are some housing ideas hat work well for DTs:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/semi-underground-russian-box.98590/#post-922226
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/heating-an-outdoor-russian-night-box.116180/#post-1077261

It is common for this species to get bladder stones and die. This happens because people don't keep them well hydrated enough. Have at least two water sources in your enclosure, soak the tortoise two or three times a week in hot summer weather, and make puddles with a garden hose or sprinklers a couple of times a week. For some reason they love to drink from puddles on the lawn.

Fell free to ask lots of questions!

Ginja

Arizona
Thanks for the info! I am going to start soaking him. I have only had him a week, so this is all very new!
I definitely need to figure out this whole hibernation thingy as well! I'm pretty nervous about that.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Thanks for the info! I am going to start soaking him. I have only had him a week, so this is all very new!
I definitely need to figure out this whole hibernation thingy as well! I'm pretty nervous about that.
There is no rule that you have to hibernate any tort ! And it's best not to hibernate any tort the first year ! Cause you don't know the care the tort had through out the year you didn't have it . So I'd wait til next year to hibernate your desert tort .

Ginja

Arizona
He was down in Phoenix and it's a lot colder where we live, will he be okay outside?

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
He was down in Phoenix and it's a lot colder where we live, will he be okay outside?

If he is properly cared for, yes.

If you leave him outside, he's going to hibernate. There are different opinions here on hibernation and none of them are absolutely right or wrong. Ultimately its a personal decision.

Sounds like you know the people who had him before, at least a little bit? Can you ask him if he's hibernated previously? In my very limited experience, a tortoise that has hibernated all its life is going to want to hibernate again.

Ginja

Arizona
Yes, I know the people and he has hibernated.
He hibernated outdoors, but I wondered if I would need to hibernate him inside or maybe in a box in the shed. I don't want him to freeze. Granted we are not as cold as Flagstaff, but it's much colder than Phoenix. We get the occasional snow. But it doesn't stick long.