Humid Hide/Spaghum Moss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stazz

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
So can I make a humid hide by just putting spaghum moss into it,just like that?
Do I keep it moist, like spray it or how what where?

Tallula sleeps in different places, mostly 3 different places, so I'll have to see where she sleeps the most to make the humid hide. She usually just buries herself.

SPHAGNUM ! I meant :p

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hello Stace
Yes, you can make a humid hide that way. I already tried it but Hermy was eating a lot of spaghum moss (as if it was a treat) :rolleyes:

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Stazz said:
Oh my golly 1 Maybe piglet Tallula will try that too,hmmm?! Is it bad for them to eat ?

Opps Stace, Sorry I forgot to answer your second question, yes you have to keep it moist (not too much just humid) I used to spray it once a day.
No, people told me it was not dangerous, but Hermy was eating A LOT of it. That is why I went with the sponge idea. He even tried to eat the sponge so we had to make him a higher hide. Now it is all good :). The only problem is he really loves his log, so he does not go in his humid hide too much.

Stazz

5 Year Member
Yeah thats what I'm thinking, I'm not too sure where to put her humid hide....cos she doesn't often sleep in her log! Almost never. Will try in one of the clay pots.
Does it work if I put the moss in the corner of her enclosure, its in the dark under the 2nd floor of the enclosure, she often buries herself in the corner there. Hmm, will have to see hehe. Thanks though! Funny that Hermy even tried to eat the sponge! :p

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Stazz said:
Yeah thats what I'm thinking, I'm not too sure where to put her humid hide....cos she doesn't often sleep in her log! Almost never. Will try in one of the clay pots.
Does it work if I put the moss in the corner of her enclosure, its in the dark under the 2nd floor of the enclosure, she often buries herself in the corner there. Hmm, will have to see hehe. Thanks though! Funny that Hermy even tried to eat the sponge! :p

Let us know how it goes. Hermy eats everything (exept when he wants mazuri :p)

christinag

5 Year Member
Colorado
Can I get the moss at Lowe's or Home Depot? I saw some there but wasn't sure if there's a special type.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
christinag said:
Can I get the moss at Lowe's or Home Depot? I saw some there but wasn't sure if there's a special type.

I bought the one I had at Carolina pet supply and I really loved it. I do not know about the one at Home depot, sorry.

Stazz

5 Year Member
Christina I'm pretty sure it's the same thing where you found it, don't think there are special types, but maybe wait for a moss pro to answer that :p

sendie

10 Year Member!
Lake Jackson, TX
Hey Stace, its coming to you, I promise! I've always used it with Burp & Fart by just making a BIG pile of it in the corner and they bury under it. For Shelly last night I put a small handful in her cave and she sat outside the door for the longest time staring at it, (kinda like WTH?) and finally went in and sat ON it. I did see her bite a piece of it, but never really eat it. I just mist it daily also

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Yes, the sphagnum moss by Moser Lee is the same thing and I get mine at Home Depot or Lowes. It is much cheeper there than anyplace else I have seen it. You just keep it damp they may hide in it or bury near it but it will help increase the humidity which is what you want.

Stazz

5 Year Member
Awesoem thanks sendie :) I'll do just that hehe. No probs, I'm in no rush at all hehe. Shelly sounds so funny,so cute how they realize ther eis something new and weird in their enclosure. I will make sure I keep it damp, will spray it with a sprayer bottle once a day or so :)

christinag

5 Year Member
Colorado
Crazy1 said:
Yes, the sphagnum moss by Moser Lee is the same thing and I get mine at Home Depot or Lowes. It is much cheeper there than anyplace else I have seen it. You just keep it damp they may hide in it or bury near it but it will help increase the humidity which is what you want.

Thanks. I am going to go and get some then. I was wondering because it was cheap if it wasn't the right stuff.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Yep I find that getting stuff for my torts at non pet stores really is cost effective. I get the hide logs at Wal-mart, the sphagnum moss, dome fixtures, tile and slate at hardware stores and I try and get things at the feed and grain store like my incubator etc. and it always beats the price of the pet stores by a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.