Humid hide

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Addis, LA
What do you guys place in your humid hide for baby sulcatas. I have some sphagnum moss should I dampen it and stick it in there?

That’s what I do, but I also have an 8 inch substrate of a little orchard bark, mostly natural cypress mulch and Timothy hay tossed on top... Daisy usually goes in her half buried terra-cotta pot but also digs her own burrow UNDER the pot.. pretty awesome... freaked out at first... tore up her entire enclosure looking for her... thought she was magical [emoji23]... ugh I was so stressed.... now if I don’t see her, I lift up the pot and there she is ... snug as a bug in a rug, doesn’t do it often, temps, humidity, everything the same, maybe it’s a natural change it up for predictors magic?

kyel3840

Bethany , Oklahoma
I bought my mulch from home depot and it said cypress mulch blend no float. Is this stuff okay or should I change it

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would not use sphagnum moss. Your tortoise will eat it and it can cause impaction.

Hay should not be used for babies and hat should not be used on damp substrate. It will mold.

I wouldn't use a "cypress mulch blend". What is is blended with?

kyel3840

Bethany , Oklahoma
It doesnt say what else is in it. Should I make a run to a garden center in the morning and change this substrate out tom?

drew54

Indiana
It doesnt say what else is in it. Should I make a run to a garden center in the morning and change this substrate out tom?

Yeah,. I would swap it out for orchid bark, coco coir, or plain organic cypress.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Without knowing what it is blended with, I would not use it. It could be something toxic. The people who bag up mulch and sell it do not intend for people to put live animals on it in a closed enclosure. They intend for their product to be spread on the ground outdoors in the garden.

It is possible that this is a factor in their lack of appetite, but I can't confirm or deny that with the info given.