What temperature to have inside Humid Hide

Zeko

5 Year Member
Hey guys,

Just wondering what you think the temperature inside a 90% humid hide (Tupperware container, moss and soil) should be?

The little bugger prefers to sit in areas of his tank in the low 90's, and has anywhere from 80-100~ to choose from.

Should I have his humid hide around his preferred 90's? Or should it be cooler?

Thanks,
Brad

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Hey guys,

Just wondering what you think the temperature inside a 90% humid hide (Tupperware container, moss and soil) should be?

The little bugger prefers to sit in areas of his tank in the low 90's, and has anywhere from 80-100~ to choose from.

Should I have his humid hide around his preferred 90's? Or should it be cooler?

Thanks,
Brad

Never lower than 80-83...up to the 90 mark is fine---as long as the tort has the ability to move from spot to spot...setting up as many micro climates as possible is key....there should also be a place that the tort can retreat to that is dry.....a tort needs to be able to allow its shell to dry out as well as their lungs.....not that you have to dry the entire enclosure, that is not what I am saying...but the entire enclosure should likewise not be wet everywhere.....just my thought.

Zeko

5 Year Member
Sorry, I should of clarified that the 90%, 90~F humid hide is inside of his enclosure.

I just need to confirm that prolonged sleeping in the above conditions is okay, and it is not too hot for him. I'd imagine he would leave the humid hide and find another spot, if it I was too warm?

Thanks.
Brad

Zeko

5 Year Member
And if possible what should his shell temp be inside the humid hide?

So much easier to shoot a temp gun at him, than to try and measure ambient temp correctly.

Thanks again!,
Brad

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
And if possible what should his shell temp be inside the humid hide?

So much easier to shoot a temp gun at him, than to try and measure ambient temp correctly.

Thanks again!,
Brad

I am a bit of the old way...although I think those guns would be fun (and I would likely just be flashing it on dumb things in the yard for fun and for making bets..lol)...if your surrounding temps are good then there is no reason that the tort within that space would be anything too different...if the tort is warm, if the tort is active, if the tort is eating, basking, soaking and is solid when lifted...then your set up is good.

If the temps are there and the tort gravitates to that space...then likely right on for the comfort of the tort...

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
My humid hide is about 87 degrees. The rest of the enclosure ranges from 83- 90 basking of 100. Humidity is 60-85% on any given day. This is for a 14 month sulcata