humid hide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mdates

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hey, im new to the forum. About three months ago i purchased a hatchling leopard tortoise. he/she is doing just fine, but i recently put a humid hide on the warm side of the enclosure and ever since its his new favorite spot. he even sleeps in there. is this normal, or can this cause other problems?

I attatched a picture of the warm side of his cage, do you think it might just be because its warmer under the little plastic thing than under his hide log?

Attachments

• downsized_1111081442.jpg
    downsized_1111081442.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 110

pebbles mom

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sussex, WI
My little Pebble (Hermann's) always sleeps in his hide ~ at night anyway. I would think that is good if he wants to sleep in there.

But any time I see one of those wooden logs ... I am nervous! My torty's nail got stuck in the wood as he was trying to climb it - hasn't grown back yet :(

Very cute BTW !!!

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
I had an outside pen for a large leopard and put a big plastic tub with hole cut in it for him. He immediately claimed that as his house and would freely go in and out as he pleased, including sleeping in there all the time.

For whatever reason, your little guy likes it better than the log. :)

terrypin

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Jersey C.I.
hi i have a humid hide in the warm end and a dark dry hide at the cooler end most nights and during the day at timees i have 2 in one and 2 in the other ,normally not always the 2 oldest (8months) in the humid and the youngest 2 (nearly 2 month's) in the dry one.
terry
hatchlingtableSmall.jpg

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I do not have a leo and I know you didn't ask but I can't resist making a comment about the log. I also had my young Greek in a Rabbit cage with a larger wooden log. One morning I found him stuck between the cage wire and the log hanging there by his arm and neck (Yes he survived but was definitely stressed as he had relieved all his bowels and quite lethargic after I got him down). Please as Pebbles Mom said, be careful, It makes me nervous too.
I now buy the logs from Wal-Mart that are edible for gerbils. These logs have a high pitch which makes it difficult, if not impossible (I have never seen one of my torts climb on them) for them to climb on. They have a hole in the side so you can spy on your little one and they are sturdy enough to glue a sponge on from the top and keep it damp. Plus they are very, very inexpensive.

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
terrypin said:
hi i have a humid hide in the warm end and a dark dry hide at the cooler end most nights and during the day at timees i have 2 in one and 2 in the other ,normally not always the 2 oldest (8months) in the humid and the youngest 2 (nearly 2 month's) in the dry one.
terry
hatchlingtableSmall.jpg
How long did it take for your Leopard Tortoises to make use of the humid hide?

terrypin

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Jersey C.I.
SulcataDud3 said:
terrypin said:
terry
hatchlingtableSmall.jpg
How long did it take for your Leopard Tortoises to make use of the humid hide?

its hard to say really they went in pretty much right away but if i put anything new in their so nosey and have to check it out .i cant say they use it how i expected. today i had 3 in there and one in the dry and tonight 3 in the dry and 1 out on the slate so i wouldnt say they are useing it all the time .i think i will improve on the hide to see if a larger version works better i will do this with my juveniles first to see if they use it.
terry

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Robyn, could you please post a picture of the edible log for gerbils. I would be interested in it if I could find it. I have found my Three Toed sitting on top of the big log many times, and now I am nervous after reading these posts. I never saw the Cherry Head climb.

Status
Not open for further replies.