Humid hide?

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Dubai/New York
How do I make a humid hide that I see in so many posts?
It's a "normal" hide, it's opening is smaller to not let humidity escape & is kept more humid than the enclosure!
Good luck :D

chelslpn

haha oh! Is there anyway I can make the inside of my hide more humid? Maybe add some water into the substrate? Because at the moment my tortoise has dug himself a hole, pushed all the coconut substrate in a pile in front of him (except for a little pile that landed on top of his shell), and is fast asleep in there... and that's where he's been since I got him yesterday besides poking his head out a few times :)

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
haha oh! Is there anyway I can make the inside of my hide more humid? Maybe add some water into the substrate? Because at the moment my tortoise has dug himself a hole, pushed all the coconut substrate in a pile in front of him (except for a little pile that landed on top of his shell), and is fast asleep in there... and that's where he's been since I got him yesterday besides poking his head out a few times :)
You can mist it & add some water as necessary :)

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I use moss to make a nice soft floor in my hide. I spray it down, not wet but moist, twice a day. Works great. My baby likes to snuggle down in it :)

Flipper

MO, USA
I use a terra-cotta pot on it's side partly buried in substrate. The humid part come in with sphagnum moss. I grab a handful and soak it in warm water daily to keep the hide "humid"

chelslpn

ah okay awesome i'm going to get some tomorrow :) this might be a stupid question, but, with the warm temps & damn moss/substrate... does this tend to mold at all? I have an open top enclosure at the moment because I live in south florida and it's always pretty much humid here so i figured that wouldn't affect it too much.

another question.. off topic: is it normal for them to dig inside the hide? I just turned his light off, and the lights in my room are off except for the fish tank & computer screen, and every 15 minutes or so for the past 2 hours I've been hearing scraping noises and every once in awhile he moved the hide lol maybe he's trying to get comfortable or has an itch... as long as he isn't stuck or can't figure out which way the opening is or something, ha

Flipper

MO, USA
Heat and moisture shouldn't mold. I'd mix up the substrate once week or so to bring the wet stuff on the bottom up and combine with the stuff on top :)

Digging is a perfectly normal tort activity :tort: They do it to feel safe and to stabilize their temps :D Plus... It's fun :p

chelslpn

ahaha okay just checking.. he's scraping away tonight so he must be having a ton of fun in there :D

redfootdaddy

5 Year Member
Toronto ON
ahaha okay just checking.. he's scraping away tonight so he must be having a ton of fun in there :D
When we first got our redfoot she gave us a bit of a scare because suddenly one day she disappeared. Like, completely. We took everything out of the tank and there was absolutely no sign of her - which was weird because it was a glass-sided aquarium with a locking mesh lid! She had actually dug so deep and so well into the substrate that she was completely hidden, the top of her shell about a half-inch below the surface. I had to go digging for her.