humidifier issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcy4hope

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
i was really excited to finally get a warm air humidifier hooked up to my sulcata baby tortoise enclosure. i have a 55 gallon "aquarium" that is filled with coco coir. i'm tired of misting it 2-3 times a day to get the humidity levels right, and needed to add a little more heat, so i now have the humidifier hooked in with a hose. it works great except i've run into an unexpected problem.

the humidity is causing the long fluorescent uvb light fixture to become really damp. not the bulb itself, but everything surrounding it. i'm wondering if that's a hazard to the metal works in the fixture. i don't want it to be an electrical fire hazard.

i also have 2 heat lamps on top of the cage. one is a day lamp and the other for night (red). i watched the levels today and then realized that since the night light was off, the entire inside of that fixture had condensation in it. so, i had to take that light off the top of the cage since it wasn't on. i don't want to damage the lights, but i also am mainly concerned for the electrical hazard.

any advice on dealing with humidity levels affecting the electrical light fixtures??

JoeTheLion

5 Year Member
I'm curious - what kind of humidifier are you using?

You might be able to move the lights away from the humidity, depending on your set-up. If all else fails, try putting the lights quite a bit away, but use a mirror so they still hit thea aquarium.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
As the temps drop at night, the excess humidity is settling out as dew or condensation. Your daytime humidity levels may be a bit too high now, or you may need to improve the airflow a little.

marcy4hope

10 Year Member!
Missouri
i don't keep the humidifier on at night. so, that's not a problem. just have it on about 3 hours in the daytime. the humidity is 70% consistently and the temp is 80 in the cool spot. the cage isn't that long, so i really can't go anywhere with the lights right now. my sullie is only 2 inches long, so this cage is plenty big enough for him now. good thing - since humidity went up. my tortoise mix seeds finally sprouted yesterday. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.