modifying home humidifier

stinax182

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Springfield, Massachusetts
i bought a home humidifier from a tag sale yesterday for 2$ :) the humidity comes out of a large vent, a good portion of the side of the machine. so my question is has anyone rigged one of these and directed the humidity into an enclosure? i had it right outside the enclosure and just extended the plastic that covered the enclosure so it covered the humidifier but the condensation gathers and drops on the machine and i don't think that's safe. any advice?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The ones I have bought, I made sure they had a hole in the top that I could put a hose or PVC piping on to direct it into the enclosure.

Kirin

5 Year Member
Chino, CA
Post a picture of it so maybe we can see a way to convert it for you.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Re: RE: modifying home humidifier

wellington said:
The ones I have bought, I made sure they had a hole in the top that I could put a hose or PVC piping on to direct it into the enclosure.

that's what i had in mind but i randomly found this and figured the whole room could use it if i couldn't modify it.

IMG_20131028_164546_834_zpsf48ce154.jpg

IMG_20131028_164611_726_zpse3cbf9d8.jpg

here's the back with the vent for the humidity at the top and i believe a vent for a motor or whatever towards the bottom.

IMG_20131028_164626_710_zps84a7eb6f.jpg

here it is next to the enclosure at the bottom right.

Kara

5 Year Member
Awesome enclosure! Would you share more pictures? Are the lights outside the plastic covering? What is the plastic on top? Having a heck of a time keeping the humidity up here in the middle of the mid-west.

stinax182

5 Year Member

Kara said:
Awesome enclosure! Would you share more pictures? Are the lights outside the plastic covering? What is the plastic on top? Having a heck of a time keeping the humidity up here in the middle of the mid-west.

thank you! the top part is my ebt enclosure and the bottom 2 boxes are for my leopard.

IMG_121235323434492_zps50364806.jpg

i covered the top with thick plastic (my bf works at a school and it's the bags desks are shipped in) but if you can find thick clear trash bag it will work. the lights are on the inside of the plastic or you're just going to lose heat and humidity. i had to extend the walls a couple inches higher to fit them though. i use tin foil around the light so the plastic doesn't melt. i used a staple gun inn the back and sticky back Velcro in the front to secure it. I've also used all tin foil but only covered half so i could see, ha. depending on the size of your enclosure it may work for you though.

IMG_20131028_191026_510_zpsb084dd4e.jpg

here's where i extended the walls in the back. i left the basking spot uncovered for access.

IMG_20131028_191049_343_zpsa054e739.jpg

i have a uvb tube light and a regular incandescent inside

IMG_20131028_190953_190_zps43a02a4a.jpg

and the other addition with an incandescent inside.

IMG_20131028_191040_873_zpsf8e395fb.jpg

3/4 of my ebt enclosure is covered. one big piece i attach with Velcro and fold back for access. only the basking spot is uncovered. a uvb tube is inside and a regular florescent above the plastic (just for extra light and the plastic doesn't stop that)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
As far as modifying your humidifier, I got a humidifier at Target.
Ace hardware had various PVC fittings, so I could connect the outlet of the humidifier to some swimming pool vacuum hose* (by the foot at ACE too) that I then ran into the middle of the enclosure. If the connections were slightly loose, I used duct tape to secure them.
It was on a timer, about 3-4x per day, and worked great!

*I ran a small piece of larger hose into a longer piece of narrower hose and just duct taped them. I can't remember why, but I think I wanted a smaller gauge hose in the enclosure itself.

photo-15.JPG

Nice enclosures!

Last edited by a moderator:

stinax182

5 Year Member

lynnedit said:
As far as modifying your humidifier, I got a humidifier at Target.
Ace hardware had various PVC fittings, so I could connect the outlet of the humidifier to some swimming pool vacuum hose* (by the foot at ACE too) that I then ran into the middle of the enclosure. If the connections were slightly loose, I used duct tape to secure them.
It was on a timer, about 3-4x per day, and worked great!

*I ran a small piece of larger hose into a longer piece of narrower hose and just duct taped them. I can't remember why, but I think I wanted a smaller gauge hose in the enclosure itself.

Nice enclosures!

thank you so much! great idea!