Using a fog machine for humidity?

Gennifer11

I made my closed enclosure however it's not as good at keeping the humidity in as I hoped. I have coco husk in there and if I keep the substrate too wet, it's going to mold. I want to keep my substrate moist with a dryish layer on top and then maybe use a fog machine or regular humidifier to keep the air humidity higher.

I need some suggestions. Attached is my new enclosure, still adding to it... and a fogger machine I saw online.

Any advice on using a fogger vs. A normal humidifier?

Attachments

• 1422941919591.jpg
    1422941919591.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 1422941936764.jpg
    1422941936764.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 1422941958093.jpg
    1422941958093.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 44

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I keep typing this. My fingers are getting tired, but here's MY recipe for a closed chamber...One that works for me and is almost 100% maintenance free: Use a couple of inches of orchid bark or coconut coir. On top of that, ad a few inches of potting soil. Potting soil is better than top soil because there is less sand. ad water into the corners of the set-up. The Bark will absorb the moisture and it will leave the soil dry. Just what you want. I have a small. 15 watt "rope" heater under my closed chamber. (My chamber is glass.) It also aids in the evaporation and adds a little heat. It was like $10. Now, for the fun part.....I use a container. In my case, a tall plastic cylinder full of water and 1/3 buried in the substrate so it doesn't get knocked over. In that cylinder is an aquarium airstone (BUBBLE STONE) attached to a length of aquarium tubing, through a hole drilled into the top chamber and to an aquarium air pump. All of it costs about $25. (With the heater) I also attached my 18" strip florescent light with a 5.0 tube INSIDE the chamber. Attached to the lid. UV and UVB light can NOT pass through plastic or glass. Keep that in mind. Also, most lighting loses it's effectiveness within so many inches. I hope I helped. Good luck. Two things that will help: What type of tortoise do you have? How large?

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
If your closed chamber isn't holding humidity than it is too large or has too many air gaps for it to escape. The beauty of a closed chamber is that it hold humidity really well. If yours isn't then you've got a design problem. Too many lights, too much heat, or too many air gaps. A fogger shouldn't be needed.

Gennifer11

Oh wow that's very interesting. I haven't heard of anything like that yet. I have a sulcata (this is the Sulcata forum right :p ) he's about 7 months now.

So you use the heat rope just to keep the substrate warm? and the bubble water container for water evaporation? I have a bunch of fish supplies so that would be easy to try.

I'm a little uneasy about going to soil because my little guy is a pigger. He loves to trample all over his food and eat substrate in the process. I had that coconut husk soil stuff for awhile, I'm trying the coco bark noww.

Gennifer11

If your closed chamber isn't holding humidity than it is too large or has too many air gaps for it to escape. The beauty of a closed chamber is that it hold humidity really well. If yours isn't then you've got a design problem. Too many lights, too much heat, or too many air gaps. A fogger shouldn't be needed.
Dang, I was hoping deep down that wasn't the issue. I can't think of something to connect the gaps very well. I thought about velcro plastic or a foam piece on the lip on the enclosure (like memory foam) but I don't know if that is safe.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Mine actually has a duct tape hinge etc. (I didn't just admit that) Just make sure that you don't have any heat near anything made of plastic. It may melt or give of fumes. Is it so large that you cant get a piece of plexiglass for it?