Humidity and heat for Horsefield

OurTommy

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi everyone.

I know it has been covered before over a number of threads but am just looking for a concise answer.

Using a vivarium is not ideal for my tortoise as the temperature throughout doesn't change much from end to end. I am keeping both doors a jar to allow air flow. However, I am assuming this keeps the humidity very low.

Basically my questions are, what does the humidity need to be? And can I turn the heat lamp off at night?

The bedroom does dip fairly low at night as we don't turn the heating on.

I'm in the UK if that helps anyone.

Thank you in advance.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
OurTommy said:
Hi everyone.

I know it has been covered before over a number of threads but am just looking for a concise answer.

Using a vivarium is not ideal for my tortoise as the temperature throughout doesn't change much from end to end. I am keeping both doors a jar to allow air flow. However, I am assuming this keeps the humidity very low.

Basically my questions are, what does the humidity need to be? And can I turn the heat lamp off at night?

The bedroom does dip fairly low at night as we don't turn the heating on.

I'm in the UK if that helps anyone.

Thank you in advance.

If you ask 10 different people you will get 10 different answers on this. In my opinion, humidity doesn't matter for a mostly grown russian. They can tolerate and thrive in a wide range of humidity levels. Lower humidity levels require more attention be given to insuring that your tortoise is properly hydrated. Its not enough to just put out a bowl of water. You have to be sure he is using it regularly. If you are not sure, then I recommend soaking a couple of times a week. If you soak more than needed, it won't hurt a thing. Also with lower humidity, I suggest a humid hide box. Just flip a dish washing tub upside down and cut out a door hole.

It should be dark at night and russians tolerate cooler nights just fine. One experienced member here suggests night temps down to 10 C are fine for older russians.

OurTommy

UK
Thank you for your reply.

It is worth pointing out that he seems fairly happy up to now, I just worry that he isn't getting the best possible environment that we could provide.

I have turned his heat lamp off for tonight so will see what the temperature is like in the morning.

It does worry me that he rarely uses his water dish at all so we are bathing him pretty much everyday and he seems to enjoy it.

Cheers

ictteacher

5 Year Member
OurTommy said:
Thank you for your reply.

It is worth pointing out that he seems fairly happy up to now, I just worry that he isn't getting the best possible environment that we could provide.

I have turned his heat lamp off for tonight so will see what the temperature is like in the morning.

It does worry me that he rarely uses his water dish at all so we are bathing him pretty much everyday and he seems to enjoy it.

Cheers

Hi tommy I also have a tortoise in England and have learnt a great deal keeping my girl happy. She lives indoor as I have no space outside to keep her but in this weather I wouldn't anyways. During the day I have the light on at the basking end around 90f. At the cool end it's about 62f. At night everything is off, my flat average temp is around 21c so she will be fine. I did recently post about your issues that at night it my be too cold for her. So for my own peace of mind I got a heat bulb (Che) and it only comes on if is below 18 c so I thunk it's never been on yet. In terms of getting your tortoise to use the water I have found that soaks are the best. Make get use to using the bowl in the enclosure Just place him in it from time to time so he knows what's in the bowl. It also could be that you water bowl for her is not big enough for him to relax it or the wets too cold. Place it near the heat lamp.

Hope this help