Humidity

Lgi98

Location (City and/or State)
England
Hi guys, recently got young horsefield (about 1 years old) and I seem to be struggling to keep the humidity low in his vivarium, especially at night.
It seems to sit around 60 during the day and at night risen to around 80+
Any advise would be great, cheers šŸ‘šŸ¼

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi guys, recently got young horsefield (about 1 years old) and I seem to be struggling to keep the humidity low in his vivarium, especially at night.
It seems to sit around 60 during the day and at night risen to around 80+
Any advise would be great, cheers šŸ‘šŸ¼
Vivariums work best, so don't let anyone tell you different.

60% is on the low side for a baby. What you've read previously from other sources is the old wrong way of raising tortoises. Keep humidity higher for a growing baby.

Its normal for the humidity percentage to rise at night when the lights are off.

More here. Look for the temperate species care sheet near the bottom:

Lgi98

England
Vivariums work best, so don't let anyone tell you different.

60% is on the low side for a baby. What you've read previously from other sources is the old wrong way of raising tortoises. Keep humidity higher for a growing baby.

Its normal for the humidity percentage to rise at night when the lights are off.

More here. Look for the temperate species care sheet near the bottom:
Thank you!

Iā€™ve definitely read some old sources then.
What should I looking to get my humidity at during the day? Itā€™s currently at 70% this morning.
And any tips on how to increase it during the day would be much appreciated

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you!

Iā€™ve definitely read some old sources then.
What should I looking to get my humidity at during the day? Itā€™s currently at 70% this morning.
And any tips on how to increase it during the day would be much appreciated
Higher is better, but in general for temperate species, I prefer to just house them correctly and not worry too much about the actual number. In a closed chamber, with a thick layer of lightly dampened substrate that they can dig into, and a humid hide or two, they will do what they need to do.

Also in general, with an open topped table and dry substrate it will always be too dry.