Humidity and heat

kbroadway2

I am using an infrared heat bulb that doesnt put out light and a dim incandescent bulb for light in my enclosure. The enclosure is an under bed sweater box (rubbermaid). I am having trouble keeping the humidity up in the enclosure. The infrared light dries out the substrate (coconut coir). I've been pouring water on the substrate and mixing it around every day because misting isn't enough to keep it wet. What else can I do to keep humidity up? I do not have a lid on the enclosure. Would a deeper tub with a lid help?

kbroadway2

I'm using a clamp lamp on one end for the infrared light. How would I use a lid with the lamp? It's positioned about 12 inches away from the substrate.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1413947225.745078.jpg

That's one way to do it. Although I much prefer it inside. Not sitting on top.

— Gus

kbroadway2

so the glass on top lets the heat through to the inside? what about when I need a UVB bulb? Right now I can take him outside every other day for sunlight..but it'll be too cold soon.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
There has to be holes cut in the plexiglass, there can't be glass or plexiglass between the bulb and the tortoise.

kbroadway2

How do you cut big holes into plexiglass? I have a hand held rotary saw that might work...but I'm scared it will mess it up.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
How do you cut big holes into plexiglass? I have a hand held rotary saw that might work...but I'm scared it will mess it up.
I have no idea, I don't use power tools. But there are some pretty handy people on here that I'm sure can tell you.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
When I used a Rubbermaid I used a 24 inch screen top on one end to place the heat bulb fixture on. I then placed a 24 inch UVB fluorescent fixture across the middle of the enclosure. I bought a clear shower curtain from the dollar store to cover most of the top and used heavy duty tin foil to cover any of the portion of the screen top I wanted to cover.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
If you use Plexi, get as thick a piece as you can afford. There are pre cut portion at your hardware store, so you wont have to buy a sheet of it. While at the hardware store you can also get a "HOLE SAW" in different sizes. it goes on the end of a drill. Just tape off the area before you drill (to keep the cutting from shattering the plastic) and make the hole almost as large as the lamp. Where are you located? I can show you what I did if inside temps aren't going to be a huge deal. My house is 73 degrees and my tort set-up stays around 80-82 degrees with a steady 78-90% humidity.

kbroadway2

I may try the screen top and shower curtain trick. I could make a screen top with hardware cloth to fit over the rubbermaid bin. It's like 24 x 18 inches.