Humidity box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vmills84

5 Year Member
Hi all, can someone please tell me how to create a humid area for my hermans tortoise? He is in a tortoise table which I built myself, He has his sleeping burrow with hay in it which he loves but I am unsure how to keep the humidity up for him. Some people suggest a plastic box to do this but Im not sure if it is different depending on the type of tortoise? Please help :)

abclements

5 Year Member
Well his burrow wont ever get humid with hay in there. Hay kinda has an anti-humidity effect on everything. But since he loves it i would leave it. A small plastic box would work well, just put it in upside down with an entrance hole cut in it and mist it at least daily and that should work great

vmills84

5 Year Member
abclements said:
Well his burrow wont ever get humid with hay in there. Hay kinda has an anti-humidity effect on everything. But since he loves it i would leave it. A small plastic box would work well, just put it in upside down with an entrance hole cut in it and mist it at least daily and that should work great

Thank you :) I was going for the coziness effect with his burrow lol ;)

bellyboo

5 Year Member
My Hermann's has a flower pot on his side that he LOVES! It's made out of eco friendly plastic and I have it filled with some eco earth and a little bit of sphagnum moss. I keep a tiny spray bottle by his enclosure so I can mist here and there if it gets too dry. We have done the box as well, and it works great. For some reason my guy just preferred to go in the flower pot. :p

Blakem

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
Don't leave the hay in there too long, it molds really easily! Good luck!

vmills84

5 Year Member
bellyboo said:
My Hermann's has a flower pot on his side that he LOVES! It's made out of eco friendly plastic and I have it filled with some eco earth and a little bit of sphagnum moss. I keep a tiny spray bottle by his enclosure so I can mist here and there if it gets too dry. We have done the box as well, and it works great. For some reason my guy just preferred to go in the flower pot. :p

Thank you :D

Blake m said:
Don't leave the hay in there too long, it molds really easily! Good luck!

I will change it every other day :D Thank you

gtc

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Norway
Code:
I would replace the hay with coco coir. It holds moisture much better and I am sure your hermann will enjoy it as much as the hay. Good luck :)

Oh yes, the humid box might not even be necessary as long as you manage to keep the coco coir a little moist.

Status
Not open for further replies.