Humidity concern for Hermann

tortoo

Location (City and/or State)
Vancouver
My Hermanns is about 13 months and growing well but humidity in the (open-top) enclosure has been severely lacking in the past couple of months. Before getting a humidifier recently humidity was around 20%. I was under the impression that pyramiding could be prevented through daily soaks which I now realize doesn't provide proper humidity for the carapace. Now the humidity is around 45% which I realize is still not enough considering he's still a yearling/juvenile.

I'm aware that closed chambers are best to maintain the proper humidity and temperature, so I'm thinking of modifying the current open-top enclosure which is essentially a 3ft by 6ft wooden frame with a tarp lining covered in cypress mulch. The basking light and heating element are suspended from a PVC structure on one end of the table, while the UV light is suspended from the ceiling.

The only closed chamber portion is a humid hide that is currently a cardboard box filled with sphagnum moss. Its temperature is controlled at around 80-85. The rest of the temperature ranges from 70 to 80 which I realize is not enough so I'm trying to supplement CHE with an external heat source (heat dish). But this is not sustainable and retaining humidity becomes more difficult which is why I'm looking to close up part of the enclosure. I've been thinking about plexiglass or greenhouse tarp - what do you guys think?

Also from the photos can you tell me if pyramiding has already set in?

Attachments

• IMG_0149.JPG
    IMG_0149.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0126.JPG
    IMG_0126.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0128.JPG
    IMG_0128.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0130.JPG
    IMG_0130.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 31

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Moss should not be used with tortoises. They eat it and it can cause impaction.

Cardboard doesn't work in a damp environment, as you will soon see. Use something plastic for a hide box.

What type of basking bulb are you using? Some bulbs cause excessive desiccation of the carapace. That can contribute to pyramiding too.

I often use the analogy that trying to heat (or humidify) an open topped table is like trying to heat your house in winter with no roof on it. It just does't work. Putting a tarp on your house would be better than nothing, but it still doesn't work as well as having a roof. The solution to your problems is a closed chamber, not trying to retro-fit and modify the wrong type of enclosure. I know it sucks to hear this, and I know you wish you knew this BEFORE you got the table, but take solace in the fact that many people have gone through the same thing before you, and you are in good company here.

tortoo

Vancouver
Thanks, Tom, appreciate your reply. I definitely understand that closed top is the only viable solution for the long term. The basking bulb is a 75W from Flukers. I'll be getting the Tupperware soon for the hide tomorrow, and its good to know that moss is not good for tortoises! By the way are you able to make out any pyramiding from the photo?

Also, I forgot to mention, that this setup is temporary. I'm a student that will be graduating in 4 months (tortoise is currently staying with my parents) and hopefully, I'll get a job in a warm place somewhere in southern California where I can keep him outside and build a much better enclosure. But for the time being. I'm trying my best to mitigate the low humidity problem with an open-top table.

Assuming the ambient room humidity is 50%, would raising the humidity of the substrate to 70% using water still not provide the proper humidity? Is this because the air above the substrate isn't actually at the 70% humidity level?

If that's the case would raising the humidity of the entire room to 70% using a secondary humidifier be a viable alternative? The room is very small and is used pretty much only for the tortoise. I was thinking of draping a clear tarp across half of the enclosure using more PVC pipes as supports.

Thanks again.

tortoo

Vancouver
Some more pics of his shell

Attachments

• IMG_0147.JPG
    IMG_0147.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0141.JPG
    IMG_0141.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0151.JPG
    IMG_0151.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 27

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Some more pics of his shell
His pyramiding is mild, but the most recent growth is looking the worst.

The Fluker bulb is probably a spot bulb. Am I right? Spot bulb cause too much desiccation. Replace it with a flood bulb and adjust the bulb height to get the correct temperature under it.

Dampening the substrate will help, and running a humidifier in the room will help to, just don't blow the humidifier directly into the enclosure.

tortoo

Vancouver
Hi Tom, yes it’s a spot bulb. I’ll be replacing it today - good to know about the desiccation.

I’m going to also buy some clear tarp and cover the entire enclosure today. Hopefully that will help retain the humidity to prevent any further pyramiding.

Thanks again.

Reactions: Tom