Humidity/Enclosure

P

pguinpro

So my 65gal. enclosure is holding humidity but that's not the problem. I recently bought a moisture meter so I can tell if the soil is soaked...Anyways my concern is after 24 hours the humidity falls below 80% and one would assume you would then add more water to create more humidity. The problem is the water in the substrate has still not dissipated. This makes me wonder if my lamp is not the correct wattage! Currently using a 100w uvb/uva that is approximately 10' 3/4 from the substrate producing temperatures of around 84°-93°F. Today I have not added any water and the humidity is holding at 70 but I can't add more water because the other water has not yet evaporated. I also worry if I get a higher watt bulb then it might be too hot in his basking spot. Let me know your thoughts thanks.

Minority2

Location (City and/or State)
Tortoise Hell
So my 65gal. enclosure is holding humidity but that's not the problem. I recently bought a moisture meter so I can tell if the soil is soaked...Anyways my concern is after 24 hours the humidity falls below 80% and one would assume you would then add more water to create more humidity. The problem is the water in the substrate has still not dissipated. This makes me wonder if my lamp is not the correct wattage! Currently using a 100w uvb/uva that is approximately 10' 3/4 from the substrate producing temperatures of around 84°-93°F. Today I have not added any water and the humidity is holding at 70 but I can't add more water because the other water has not yet evaporated. I also worry if I get a higher watt bulb then it might be too hot in his basking spot. Let me know your thoughts thanks.

1. Are you using an open enclosure or a closed chamber enclosure? How big are the opening and gaps in your enclosure?

2. Are you mixing the substrate when you pour in the water or are you just allowing it to accumulate at the bottom of your enclosure?

3. What type of substrate are you using?

4. Mercury vapor bulbs produces a very intense type of heat; more so than regular incandescent flood bulbs. What is the temperature of the basking spot directly under the fixture?

P

pguinpro

1. Are you using an open enclosure or a closed chamber enclosure? How big are the opening and gaps in your enclosure?

2. Are you mixing the substrate when you pour in the water or are you just allowing it to accumulate at the bottom of your enclosure?

3. What type of substrate are you using?

4. Mercury vapor bulbs produces a very intense type of heat; more so than regular incandescent flood bulbs. What is the temperature of the basking spot directly under the fixture?
Thanks for the reply, It's close chamber and has a cm gap around the circumference of the lamp. I am not mixing the substrate simply because it is already mixed. This means that when the misyer goes on and sprays for about a minute once a day the water then seeps down and eventually evaporates. Latley though, based on soil/moisture meter findings, this has not been the case and the evaporative process is taking too long leaving water at the very base. The first layer is organic planting soil which is way down at the bottom. The second layer is cypress mulch mixed with orchid moss. In certain areas I have coconut coir in between layers 1&2 for increased volume; where he digs the most. The temperature, 10 & 3/4 of an inch down ranges between 84 and 93 degrees ish. Highest I've ever seen it was 95. Not sure if i have a mercury bulb but it is not fluorescent.1538448000036.jpeg

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Thanks for the reply, It's close chamber and has a cm gap around the circumference of the lamp. I am not mixing the substrate simply because it is already mixed. This means that when the misyer goes on and sprays for about a minute once a day the water then seeps down and eventually evaporates. Latley though, based on soil/moisture meter findings, this has not been the case and the evaporative process is taking too long leaving water at the very base. The first layer is organic planting soil which is way down at the bottom. The second layer is cypress mulch mixed with orchid moss. In certain areas I have coconut coir in between layers 1&2 for increased volume; where he digs the most. The temperature, 10 & 3/4 of an inch down ranges between 84 and 93 degrees ish. Highest I've ever seen it was 95. Not sure if i have a mercury bulb but it is not fluorescent.View attachment 253141

1. What is the ingredients in your organic potting soil mix? Many commercially available potting soils labeled as organic may contain material unsafe for tortoise consumption.

Personally I believe all substrate should be hand mixed from time to time because misting and pouring will not allow the water to reach all intended areas. A good portion of the substrate in all layers will be left relatively dry. A few minutes of work will also help soak up most of the water left on the bottom back into the substrate.

2. Can you give a more accurate reading for the 4 temperature zones? Basking spot, warm side, cool side, and overnight low side?

3. I'm not familiar with this Lugarti brand. MVB does stand for Mercury vapor bulb. It is priced as premium but without enough information and pictures (from the website) I cannot say if it indeed is as good as a premium brand like Arcadia. Even so my guess is that the basking spot may be a bit high at 10 or so inches. Over 100F. You'll either have to deny or verify my assumptions.

P

pguinpro

1. What is the ingredients in your organic potting soil mix? Many commercially available potting soils labeled as organic may contain material unsafe for tortoise consumption.

Personally I believe all substrate should be hand mixed from time to time because misting and pouring will not allow the water to reach all intended areas. A good portion of the substrate in all layers will be left relatively dry. A few minutes of work will also help soak up most of the water left on the bottom back into the substrate.

2. Can you give a more accurate reading for the 4 temperature zones? Basking spot, warm side, cool side, and overnight low side?

3. I'm not familiar with this Lugarti brand. MVB does stand for Mercury vapor bulb. It is priced as premium but without enough information and pictures (from the website) I cannot say if it indeed is as good as a premium brand like Arcadia. Even so my guess is that the basking spot may be a bit high at 10 or so inches. Over 100F. You'll either have to deny or verify my assumptions.
Thanks again, it doesn't contain peralite or fertilizers. I threw away the bag, but purchased from green acres which is a local organic garden store. It might have some compost but recall it contained dirt, sphagnum peat moss, and forest products. I called to make sure that forest products did not contain pine, regardless he doesnt dig that deep anyways. Additionally I do not have gauges or thermometers in the specified zones you requested but if I recall it's about 10-15 degrees cooler. Night temps are 80 degrees because I use a CHE. As far as height goes the recommendation on the box says 12-20 inches! Do you really think closer is a good idea? I can tell you this bulb was not cheap haha. What about a higher watt bulb? I guess I could mix up the top layer but wouldn't want to mix the base layer.1538452666093.jpeg

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Thanks again, it doesn't contain peralite or fertilizers. I threw away the bag, but purchased from green acres which is a local organic garden store. It might have some compost but recall it contained dirt, sphagnum peat moss, and forest products. I called to make sure that forest products did not contain pine, regardless he doesnt dig that deep anyways. Additionally I do not have gauges or thermometers in the specified zones you requested but if I recall it's about 10-15 degrees cooler. Night temps are 80 degrees because I use a CHE. As far as height goes the recommendation on the box says 12-20 inches! Do you really think closer is a good idea? I can tell you this bulb was not cheap haha. What about a higher watt bulb? I guess I could mix up the top layer but wouldn't want to mix the base layer.View attachment 253146

I use various growing mediums and organic soil mixes for indoor and outdoor planting. Those organic soil mixes often contain various materials and additives, many of which can be a concern if ingested by human or tortoises. Some members with more experience may be able to shed more light on this matter. I personally wouldn't risk it.

A probe or infrared temperature gun would be a bit more accurate and more reliable than one of those tiny thermometer hygrometer analog gauges.

A mercury vapor bulb runs quite hot. Without specific accurate readings I cannot tell you whether height changes are needed. Basking temperatures should be around 95-100F for Sulcatas. 100 basking, 80 throughout/cool side/80% humidity are good readers to go by.

Is that an open enclosure? Acrylic or plexiglass top? It's very dark on the other end. Tortoises are most active during the day. They will not often venture into dark areas. I would recommend either placing a ambient light fixture on the other end or converting to a basking and UV(B) linear florescent combo. Total wattage requirements would be lower if you converted. Linear florescent bulbs will also last much longer than mercury vapor bulbs.

P

pguinpro

I use various growing mediums and organic soil mixes for indoor and outdoor planting. Those organic soil mixes often contain various materials and additives, many of which can be a concern if ingested by human or tortoises. Some members with more experience may be able to shed more light on this matter. I personally wouldn't risk it.

A probe or infrared temperature gun would be a bit more accurate and more reliable than one of those tiny thermometer hygrometer analog gauges.

A mercury vapor bulb runs quite hot. Without specific accurate readings I cannot tell you whether height changes are needed. Basking temperatures should be around 95-100F for Sulcatas. 100 basking, 80 throughout/cool side/80% humidity are good readers to go by.

Is that an open enclosure? Acrylic or plexiglass top? It's very dark on the other end. Tortoises are most active during the day. They will not often venture into dark areas. I would recommend either placing a ambient light fixture on the other end or converting to a basking and UV(B) linear florescent combo. Total wattage requirements would be lower if you converted. Linear florescent bulbs will also last much longer than mercury vapor bulbs.
Yeah, I did a lot of research on the soil, I think it's good plus he doesn't dig that deep. Yeah sometimes it is 95 but maybe you're right. I'll lower it an inch and check temps, unfortunately I can't afford new lights but if you have recommendation for florescent setup I'd like to know 100%. I like the idea of linear but how would i suspend it? Also there's that acrylic glass that's in the way and i dont want to change that because I just bought all of this haha. In regards to your mention of the dark zone, it is currently 9:40 here so rather dark he goes down there during the day for water.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Yeah, I did a lot of research on the soil, I think it's good plus he doesn't dig that deep. Yeah sometimes it is 95 but maybe you're right. I'll lower it an inch and check temps, unfortunately I can't afford new lights but if you have recommendation for florescent setup I'd like to know 100%. I like the idea of linear but how would i suspend it? Also there's that acrylic glass that's in the way and i dont want to change that because I just bought all of this haha. In regards to your mention of the dark zone, it is currently 9:40 here so rather dark he goes down there during the day for water.

1. Why is Mercury vapor bulb still on if it is 9:40 pm? Are you using a timer? If not, buy them and use them. They're cheap and far more reliable than any of us can be.

2. Cut sections of the acrylic out and rest a linear florescent fixture with reflectors directly on top of the sheet. You can use industrial grade adhesives to mount a linear florescent fixture on bottom of your acrylic sheet, however, because your height is so low, I would advise against doing so.

What is the length of your enclosure? A 2 ft linear florescent fixture will work for a 4 feet enclosure. A 3 ft fixture will work for a 5 ft enclosure and so on.

Lot of people are talked into buying mercury vapor bulbs by retailers because they're convinced that a single lamp fixture is enough to cover an entire enclosure. It isn't. The quality ones are quite expensive and most models aren't really that ideal in either applications. The light from a MVB will at most cover 1.5-2.5 ft of area at most with the largest diameter lamp fixture. A 4 ft Linear florescent fxiture with reflectors for example, will be able to cover 5-6+ ft of it's surrounding area and only use half to 3/5 the amount of wattage required compared to an 80 watt MVB.

P

pguinpro

1. Why is Mercury vapor bulb still on if it is 9:40 pm? Are you using a timer? If not, buy them and use them. They're cheap and far more reliable than any of us can be.

2. Cut sections of the acrylic out and rest a linear florescent fixture with reflectors directly on top of the sheet. You can use industrial grade adhesives to mount a linear florescent fixture on bottom of your acrylic sheet, however, because your height is so low, I would advise against doing so.

What is the length of your enclosure? A 2 ft linear florescent fixture will work for a 4 feet enclosure. A 3 ft fixture will work for a 5 ft enclosure and so on.

Lot of people are talked into buying mercury vapor bulbs by retailers because they're convinced that a single lamp fixture is enough to cover an entire enclosure. It isn't. The quality ones are quite expensive and most models aren't really that ideal in either applications. The light from a MVB will at most cover 1.5-2.5 ft of area at most with the largest diameter lamp fixture. A 4 ft Linear florescent fxiture with reflectors for example, will be able to cover 5-6+ ft of it's surrounding area and only use half to 3/5 the amount of wattage required compared to an 80 watt MVB.
It's my understanding that it's 12 on 12 off is that correct?