Humidity in new digs

cassieopia

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Arkansas, Zone 3
I am so excited about my torts new enclosure- I cant figure out how to post pics!
I have an almost 4 foot square, glass topped coffee table, and we made it into a super tort yard! It has plexiglass around the bottom, a metal cover over the floor and lights (MVB, CHE and HEAT)!
It has about 3 inches of substrate (coir) and 2 happy happy babies inside! The setup maintains 78- 90% humidity and 88- 105° temps!
Whilst I try to figure out how to post, can yall think of any "improvements" necessary?
Use your imagination, LOL!

Miscally

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
One thing I would suggest is that you separate the babies, they don't do well in pairs, sorry.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am so excited about my torts new enclosure- I cant figure out how to post pics!
I have an almost 4 foot square, glass topped coffee table, and we made it into a super tort yard! It has plexiglass around the bottom, a metal cover over the floor and lights (MVB, CHE and HEAT)!
It has about 3 inches of substrate (coir) and 2 happy happy babies inside! The setup maintains 78- 90% humidity and 88- 105° temps!
Whilst I try to figure out how to post, can yall think of any "improvements" necessary?
Use your imagination, LOL!
What species and what size tortoises? 4 sq. ft. is about 24"x24". Is that right? Upload a pic by clicking the box that says "UPLOAD A FILE" just to the right of the box that says "POST REPLY".

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
What species and what size tortoises? 4 sq. ft. is about 24"x24". Is that right? Upload a pic by clicking the box that says "UPLOAD A FILE" just to the right of the box that says "POST REPLY".

It’s posted under the Sully section. Sure hope it’s not two Sullys in 4 sq feet. Pictures will help.

cassieopia

5 Year Member
Central Arkansas, Zone 3

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wow! That is pretty cool!

I would get rid of the ramped water bowl though. Those are a tipping drowning hazard for tortoises. A terra cotta plant saucer sunk into the substrate will work much better.

I also agree with Miscally. They should never be housed as a pair. Singles are best, groups of juvies can usually work, but pairs are always a problem. One or both will suffer for it. I know this is a bummer, but it will be even more of a bummer if one dies, or both get sick due to the chronic stress, or if one grows much larger than the other and you realize 6 months or a year from now that the little one has been in a living hell all that time.