Humidity in Terrarium

mytortoisereed

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hi Tortoise Forum,

My Russian Tortoise Reed is currently living in a 40 gallon terrarium as we are in the process of building him an outside habitat. For now, I take him outside for at least and hour a day to make sure he has time to walk around, explore, and graze on grass and dandelions. However, I feel like the skin on his head is becoming a bit dry, I think it’s because of the humidity inside of his terrarium. I was wondering how I should get the appropriate humidity in the terrarium for a Russian Tortoise, he is 15 years old. I have been spraying inside the terrarium with water and I have a terra-cotta saucer inside as well filled with fresh water. Is there anything else I should be doing in order to get the appropriate humidity? And how often should I mist the environment? I am also hoping that once the humidity is correct, his skin will become less dry. Please let me know your thoughts, and what I should do!

Thank you!

Emma and Reed

Last edited:

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
What is the substrate in the enclosure? Be sure that it’s a few inches thick and damp.
You could probably just get away with soaking a few times a week :)

mytortoisereed

California
What is the substrate in the enclosure? Be sure that it’s a few inches thick and damp.
You could probably just get away with soaking a few times a week :)

Hi TechnoCheese,

The substrate inside is coconut coir and there is some special calcium sand mixed in but not a lot. There is a thick layer of coir on the bottom, some calcium sand in the middle (not a lot just what I couldn’t remove) and then a layer of coconut coir on the top. It is definitely a few inches thick, as he loves to dig to the bottom in his favorite corner. I will start to soak him more often, and maybe also brush him and his shell with a toothbrush, and hopefully that will help his head become less dry. Thank you so much!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Hi TechnoCheese,

The substrate inside is coconut coir and there is some special calcium sand mixed in but not a lot. There is a thick layer of coir on the bottom, some calcium sand in the middle (not a lot just what I couldn’t remove) and then a layer of coconut coir on the top. It is definitely a few inches thick, as he loves to dig to the bottom in his favorite corner. I will start to soak him more often, and maybe also brush him and his shell with a toothbrush, and hopefully that will help his head become less dry. Thank you so much!

In the future, definitely be sure you’re not using calcium sand for any reptile. Since calcium alkaline, it completely neutralizes stomach acid once eaten, and causes impaction a from the build up. However, I’m assuming you know it shouldn’t be used since you mentioned that it’s just what you couldn’t remove.
If you’re having trouble getting the coconut coir to stay damp, try dumping water in and mixing it around :)

mytortoisereed

California
In the future, definitely be sure you’re not using calcium sand for any reptile. Since calcium alkaline, it completely neutralizes stomach acid once eaten, and causes impaction a from the build up. However, I’m assuming you know it shouldn’t be used since you mentioned that it’s just what you couldn’t remove.
If you’re having trouble getting the coconut coir to stay damp, try dumping water in and mixing it around :)

Hi TechnoCheese,

Ok sounds good! Thank you so much! I just went in and sprayed a lot of water on the substrate, there’s a lot of moisture on the bottom but hopefully by spraying there will be more on top, and if need be I will dump the water around. Thank you for the help!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Hi TechnoCheese,

Ok sounds good! Thank you so much! I just went in and sprayed a lot of water on the substrate, there’s a lot of moisture on the bottom but hopefully by spraying there will be more on top, and if need be I will dump the water around. Thank you for the help!

The spraying just were the top and let’s it dry again. Pouring a pitcher of water in and spreading it around ensures that it’s not just stuck at the bottom, and spreads it out :)