humidity question in tropical country

Status
Not open for further replies.

skuttle

5 Year Member
hi guys! i recently bought two hatchling sulcatas. my enclosure is just plain plastic bin substrate is just paper because i want it to be clean and just covered half of the top of the bin. the temp of the enclosure is 28-29 celsius and humidity 60 percent. sometimes the humidity goes up to 70-75 percent and temp drops down at 26 celsius at night. by the way i live in a tropical climate country. can i ask if do i need to cover the whole top to achieve 80 percent up humdity and use any heating instruments? im just worried regarding the airflow and will cause respiratory infection.
i really want there shells to be perfect no pyramiding at all. hoping for your help? thanks

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) If you want the best shell you can get then I would follow Toms closed chamber threads and also read is others on pyramiding. They are at the bottom of my post. I would also use coconut coir or plain dirt for a substrate, tortoises don't live on paper and it won't help with anything.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Don't worry about the shell's appearance being perfect. Worry about making them as healthy as you can.

1. Separate them. Sulcatas don't do well in pairs.
2. Get a basking bulb. They need a basking spot around 100 degrees, in addition to your warm ambient temps.
3. Use a CHE on a thermostat at night so they don't get cool and damp due to evaporation.
4. Covering the enclosures, or using closed chambers, will help keep temps and humidity warm and stable.
5. Add some substrate.
6. Soak them daily for the first few months.
7. Get them out for some sunshine in a safe, secure enclosure every day if possible. Make sure they can always move to the shade and cool off.

skuttle

5 Year Member
Thanks guys. I'll separate the two. But what i mean is do i really need a basking lamp even though my room temp ranges from 30-29 daytime and 29-28 at night but sometimes goes down to 26 but seldom and only at night. Humidity is also 65 lowest and 75 highest enclosure humdity with open top.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, I would still offer a basking light. Unless you can take them outside early enough to bask in the sun. Even though my inside temps were always 80, my leopard would still sit under the basking, well off to the side of it. They need to warm up to at least 85, maybe even higher to properly digest their food. Also, with the higher humidity of 80% you don't want their temps to go below 80.

Status
Not open for further replies.