Can a baby sulcata survive in an enclosure outdoors? I need every help I can get

StubbyTheTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Manila, Philippines
So, I am a student, still living with my parents here in the Philippines, around (30-35 degrees celsius in the day, 25-29 celsius at night) and they adamantly told me that the baby Sulcata Tortoise I will adapt next month (Dec. 2023) will not be allowed to stay indoors, coz they have this superstition that a turtle inside a house will slow down our success in life
Now with all that in mind, Im planning to buy a secure enclosure with ceramic heat emitter, along with the proper substrate and hide, with temp and humidity devices.
What else could I do to ensure the baby sulcata will live a long life and will avoid any pyramiding at all? Can they really live outdoors while still a baby ?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I totally agree with Maggie. If you can take care of it property then don't get one until you can, otherwise it's just animal abuse.
They need to be housed in a closed chamber with proper temps and humidity of 80% for about 2 years.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So, I am a student, still living with my parents here in the Philippines, around (30-35 degrees celsius in the day, 25-29 celsius at night) and they adamantly told me that the baby Sulcata Tortoise I will adapt next month (Dec. 2023) will not be allowed to stay indoors, coz they have this superstition that a turtle inside a house will slow down our success in life
Now with all that in mind, Im planning to buy a secure enclosure with ceramic heat emitter, along with the proper substrate and hide, with temp and humidity devices.
What else could I do to ensure the baby sulcata will live a long life and will avoid any pyramiding at all? Can they really live outdoors while still a baby ?
Babies need to be housed indoors in stable conditions in a closed chamber.

Outside all day is bad for babies, even in their native environment in Africa, or any other climate. They do better when kept indoors in a closed chamber.

If your parents won't let you house it correctly, whatever their reason, then don't get it. Wait until you are out on your own and can do what you want.

Another option would be to find a larger tortoise to buy that is bigger than 26-30cm, that can safely live outside full time with a heated and insulated shelter.