I Need Help (Can I keep a sulcata in Wisconsin?)

LandonMincrafter

Location (City and/or State)
Chippewa Falls, Wi
I Live In Chippewa Falls, WI And I Want A Sulcata Tortoise But They Need To Be Outdoors And Wisconsin Weather Is Extremely Bipolar We Had A Snow day Last Week And I'm In Northern Wisconsin. Any Tips?
1595-chippewa-county-wisconsin.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sulcatas are a giant tropical species. They need large warm areas to roam year round. If you have a large heated building that you keep at 80 degrees year round and you can convert it into a large tortoise enclosure, then housing an adult will be no problem. If not, well, where will you put it when it gets bigger?

Any species can be kept anywhere in the world with enough time money and effort, but some species are simply not practical in some areas. Personally, I would not keep sulcatas if I lived in the frozen north.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's all about having the room and money to provide a large heated shed. There are a lot of large tortoises in the colder north. Sulcatas even go out into the snow in a lot of areas as long as they have a heated shed to warm up in.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It's all about having the room and money to provide a large heated shed. There are a lot of large tortoises in the colder north. Sulcatas even go out into the snow in a lot of areas as long as they have a heated shed to warm up in.
I don't think locking a giant tortoise in a shed for months at a time is a good way to go. I also don't think letting sulcatas out to walk in snow is a good idea. I am aware that people do both, but it is my opinion, based on my experiences, that neither is a good idea, and both practices should be discouraged.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
I don't think locking a giant tortoise in a shed for months at a time is a good way to go. I also don't think letting sulcatas out to walk in snow is a good idea. I am aware that people do both, but it is my opinion, based on my experiences, that neither is a good idea, and both practices should be discouraged.
Tom, you have a love and respect for these wonderful creatures that no matter how hard I apply myself I don't think I could ever even come close to matching. So I definitely don't want to debate with you how I can make this work in a cold climate, because with my limited experience I would probably just be talking out of my butt anyways LOL. Living here in Michigan and seeing this guy go from 1 lb to 6 lb in under 6 months has been kind of mind-boggling. I keep coming up with different game plans for when he is a hundred pound fence toppling machine. In hindsight, when my daughter asked for a sulcata, sometimes I think a Russian or a Herman's maybe would have been the way to go, especially for our first tortoise. Have a lot of mixed feelings on this topic, my ego and drive to succeed really want to make this work, and provide him the best care possible. In the end I'm hoping I can do more than just make this work.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom, you have a love and respect for these wonderful creatures that no matter how hard I apply myself I don't think I could ever even come close to matching. So I definitely don't want to debate with you how I can make this work in a cold climate, because with my limited experience I would probably just be talking out of my butt anyways LOL. Living here in Michigan and seeing this guy go from 1 lb to 6 lb in under 6 months has been kind of mind-boggling. I keep coming up with different game plans for when he is a hundred pound fence toppling machine. In hindsight, when my daughter asked for a sulcata, sometimes I think a Russian or a Herman's maybe would have been the way to go, especially for our first tortoise. Have a lot of mixed feelings on this topic, my ego and drive to succeed really want to make this work, and provide him the best care possible. In the end I'm hoping I can do more than just make this work.
I'm comfortable saying that everyone here hopes you succeed. It can be done, but it won't be cheap or easy.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It can be done and as Tom said won't be cheap or as easy as those that don't deal with our cold and snow. However, you won't be the first to do it or the last. Many have done it and are doing it and with more then one. If it shouldn't have been done then breeders shouldn't have sold them to people in those kinds of areas, but they all do and there are many homeless ones to prove it.

daniellenc

Maryland
I wish my climate were more kind or I had a tiled temp controlled basement but alas Maryland. A giant tortoise will never be in my future and honestly being an adult will weigh more than me that’s probably good cause I can’t imagine transporting that beast. But people do figure it out. Given a large enough yard my friend has a two car garage all set on it’s own thermostats, basking areas, heat mats, and an outdoor enclosure for spring/summer with burrows and tons of grasses. The entire garage is covered in soil and when it’s nice left open for a sunny day retreat, but winters cost him an extra 100 dollars a month to run and he spent a few grand getting the garage to be it’s own temp controlled space.

Reactions: Tom

Jay Bagley

Michigan
It can be done and as Tom said won't be cheap or as easy as those that don't deal with our cold and snow. However, you won't be the first to do it or the last. Many have done it and are doing it and with more then one. If it shouldn't have been done then breeders shouldn't have sold them to people in those kinds of areas, but they all do and there are many homeless ones to prove it.
I agree it can be done, I'm definitely going to do the best job I can. The last time this topic had come up on another post, I went in mildly arrogant. This time around I'm definitely trying to take everybody's point of view into consideration.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree it can be done, I'm definitely going to do the best job I can. The last time this topic had come up on another post, I went in mildly arrogant. This time around I'm definitely trying to take everybody's point of view into consideration.
Have you had your moment of panic yet when you realize just how much your growing monster can eat every single day?

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Have you had your moment of panic yet when you realize just how much your growing monster can eat every single day?
I sure have. I look at what he eats now while I can still hold him with one hand, and I can only Imagine what it's going to be like when I'm using a wheel barrel to get from point A to point B.

Reactions: Tom

EdMurphy

Minnesota
I too wanted a sulcata but in MHO a 2 car garage would be the absolute bare minimum you could get away with for an adult to live for half the year. I live in central minnesota so the climate is the same. it's nearly May and the night temps are still in the teens and twenties with highs in the 60's. it wouldn't be uncommon for the weather to be too extreme from October to June for it to be outside much, not to mention the effort of feeding it a good diet over the winter. I would think a large pole barn would be needed and the cost to set up and maintain over the next 80+ years was prohibitive for me. We have a 3 acre lot with a barn for the goats so I know what goes into keeping a building warm when it's -10 for a few weeks at a time, No doubt it will be a serious cash investment over the long haul trying to keep 80 degrees. there are just too many other options that are a better fit for this climate. I decided a russian was a better fit for me.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I too wanted a sulcata but in MHO a 2 car garage would be the absolute bare minimum you could get away with for an adult to live for half the year. I live in central minnesota so the climate is the same. it's nearly May and the night temps are still in the teens and twenties with highs in the 60's. it wouldn't be uncommon for the weather to be too extreme from October to June for it to be outside much, not to mention the effort of feeding it a good diet over the winter. I would think a large pole barn would be needed and the cost to set up and maintain over the next 80+ years was prohibitive for me. We have a 3 acre lot with a barn for the goats so I know what goes into keeping a building warm when it's -10 for a few weeks at a time, No doubt it will be a serious cash investment over the long haul trying to keep 80 degrees. there are just too many other options that are a better fit for this climate. I decided a russian was a better fit for me.
Thanks for sharing your experience and thought process Ed. I don't think badly of people who try it, but I look at this issue the same as you. If I lived in an area like yours, I would go the same way you went.

Juicestain100

Wsconsin
I know this is an old thread, but it's what popped up first when I google anything about Sulcatas in WI. I have a sulcata in WI and last year bought a 10x16 building to house him in during winter.
Here's a short youtube clip I had made of it earlier this summer to give anyone an idea. Works great and we're both very pleased with it