Humidity question

Jenblalock003

Hi everyone...again another question.

Ok so I use coconut coir, organic soil, and a tiny bit if Spanish moss as substrate. (I cut up the pieces of moss so they don't get tangled and put in a corner) I had done cypress mulch too BUT this is my problem.

This morning when I was cleaning their cage I saw a tiny bit if mold...I cleaned it out. Now I read that these things do not mold. Problem is niw the humidity is only 55-60. How can I get it up without seeing mold? I'm about to add more moss and I try to keep soil a little damp but I don't want to saturate it bc of fear of mold.

Thanks everyone!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I had done cypress mulch too BUT this is my problem.

So is the cypress mulch what you found moldy? If yes, then take it out and keep your temps warm enough to go along with the higher enclosure humidity levels....just what I would do--you may need to tweak a little to get the perfect set up going...

Jenblalock003

ascott said:
I had done cypress mulch too BUT this is my problem.

So is the cypress mulch what you found moldy? If yes, then take it out and keep your temps warm enough to go along with the higher enclosure humidity levels....just what I would do--you may need to tweak a little to get the perfect set up going...

Yes I took all the moldy pieces out. I left a couple (after I boiled them and dried) but they will not be dampened this time only used to bask. It's so difficult to reach the perfect humidity...I've played around with it a lot. Will they be ok with 70 humidity? Or is there anything else I can use that won't mold?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I used to use top soil. I had mold fairly often and had to hand pick it out. I've since switched to coco coir and sphagnum moss only and no mold, yet!

You could try ditching the soil like I did.

Jenblalock003

Team Gomberg said:
I used to use top soil. I had mold fairly often and had to hand pick it out. I've since switched to coco coir and sphagnum moss only and no mold, yet!

You could try ditching the soil like I did.

Thank you so much for the info!!!

Scm133

5 Year Member
Calera, Alabama
To raise the humidity, try covering the top if it is open. I added a Exo Terra mister, and it did solve my humidity issues.

Jenblalock003

Scm133 said:
To raise the humidity, try covering the top if it is open. I added a Exo Terra mister, and it did solve my humidity issues.

Ty!!!!! I did find some research about putting something on the top so I put a damp towel and I'll look into the Exo Terra mister!!!! Thanks again!

Scm133

5 Year Member
Calera, Alabama
Jenblalock003 said:
Scm133 said:

Ty!!!!! I did find some research about putting something on the top so I put a damp towel and I'll look into the Exo Terra mister!!!! Thanks again!
No problem. :D I had an open Zoo Med Tortoise house, actually... two. The open tops were not working. I covered the screen with plexiglass, and insulation. The Exo Terra Monsoon works great. I have it set to mist every hour for 16 secs.. 24/7. I rarely have to mist. I just turn the eco earth occasional to distribute the moisture .