Humidity

Popcorns17

5 Year Member
I have a one year old and i cant seem to keep the humidity above 30% i have a tank and a towel and a plastic lid covering the screen and i mist as much as i possible can. Any ideas would be appreciated

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
I'm not sure what your substrate is, but basically you need to tip water in and give it a good mix with your hands. Not too much as you want it damp and not wet, but all the substrate needs moisture. A mist spray is not enough.

While you're rearranging, sink the saucer into the substrate so your tort doesn't have to climb it to drink.

Get rid of the pet store bowl and replace with a piece of flat stone, slate or tile - it will wear the beak down naturally while he eats.

The pet store bowls have steep sides inside and small torts tip in them and cannot right themselves resulting in death. We don't recommend them.

What lighting do you have?

Alexio

Syracuse, New York

I like to use this stuff called reflectix . they sell it at Lowe's(possibly elsewhere) . This, along with some metal framing for screen doors/Windows as well as some foil tape works wonderfully to make a lid that holds the heat and humidity inside. The screen lids they sell with tanks are not good for keeping in warm humid air.
These can easily be cut to fit in light fixtures. I will attach some pictures when I get home, I have been meaning to do a whole thread of do it yourself lids for tanks.
Along with adding a lot of water as was previously stated, I really like cypress mulch . my marginated tortoises have an easy time burrowing down in it and it holds moisture quite well.

Alexio

Syracuse, New York

This is the top of one of my tanks. It's actually two lids in the picture which meet in the middle. I just tape the screen frame to the top of the reflectix with the silver tape to make the cover ridged, then if need be I cut out holes for lights as you can see in the picture. If your setup was entirely enclosed (like a tank)you may want to add some air holes or vents to allow some transfer, if you see condensation forming on the inside of the tank add more airholes until the condensation stops. Then lay the cover on the top of the tank so it sits flush . you can also get fancy and tape down one of the sides to make a hinge of sorts. Just watch your temps as this may increase your heat retention. Hope this helps.

Popcorns17

5 Year Member
I have a mercury vapor bulb also the water dish isnt that high it just looks it and the terra cotta one is for the food thank you guys for your help