Humidity

doletorts

10 Year Member!
I got a red foot today and everything is great but I'm having a hard time keeping in humidity. Im using the eco earth bricks as substrate we have some moss but just don't know where to put it. Im having troubles keeping the humidity up, any ideas? I will try misting soon but I'm a freshman in highschool and my parents work so we cant mist during the day, so i just don't know. Please help.

Ashley_Sheldon

5 Year Member
Misting will help . Do you have a humid hide ? Spray down your torts shell once a day will help . Thought of the shower curtain lining ? There is humidifiers that you can put in your enclosure . Check out some of Toms threads they might help you out :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
You need a closed chamber. Open tops allow all the heat and humidity to escape up and out into the room.

Read this: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-32333.html

RFs are prone to pyramiding if kept dry, but prone to shell rot if kept too wet. The solution is a closed chamber. The upper layer of substrate can be dry, but your tortoise can have the warm temps and humidity it needs all the time, and it is very easy to maintain.

doletorts

10 Year Member!
Thank you guys. We got the humidity up by putting in some moss in the back and misting. What happens if i put the basking light a little closer to the water could that evaporate the water some and create humidity?

Ashley_Sheldon

5 Year Member
I'm pretty sure the water itself will create humidity and I dont think putting the light closer would help . Whats your humidity level ?

doletorts

10 Year Member!
It keeps dropping to like 30-40 then i spray and it goes to 50-55 but within minutes it drops again. Im worried its not going to be stable enough for when i go to school on monday

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
How are you measuring your humidity? Are you using one of those disk type things ? If so get it out of there and use one of the meters in the pictures . If you can post pictures of your enclosure we can better help you fix your set up.

Attachments

• 1385841666777.jpg
    1385841666777.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 34

New2reds

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
Get rid of the disk gauge!! I learned that lesson myself. The disks were saying my humidity was 40-50 percent even with multiple substrate misting in a closed chamber! Went and bought a good digital thermometer/hydrometer and to my surprise my humidity was 80-90 percent.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Post pictures and we can help you better.