Humidity

Tiny Tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Any ideas for keeping humidity in an indoor enclosure? I'm sure there are other threads on this, but I wanted some fresh info. I keep the ground moist but that doesn't seem to help...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What size age tort and what species? Usually the only way is a closed chamber enclosure, but that's for hatchling to around 2 years.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Then a closed chamber, 80% humidity. Keep the top of substrate dry though as they are prone to shell rot. Moisten the under layers by putting warm water into the corners so it goes down to bottom layers.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Also add another water dish. The evaporation from this will help with humidity. In a 2x4" closed enclosure I would have 2 water dishes. If I was still using a vivarium type enclosure I would probably put some shelves in the enclosure so I could sit some dishes on with water in to save on floor space. Shelves could also double up as hides.
You need to balance the surface water area to your enclosure so that the evaporation helps maintain humidity otherwise you will just be adding water every day and end up with stagnant substrate. Also moist spagnhum moss in and around the hide helps. Moist not sodden.
For substrate use a layer of moist coir with a layer of orchid bark and/or Cyprus mulch on that.
You will struggle if it's an open enclosure.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
You also need to think about how you are checking humidity. Always check it at tortoise level, not 8" up off the substrate. You will always get a lower reading under a basking light too as they dry out the immediate air under the light.
Dial type hygrometers are not very reliable, digital types are best.
For redfoots I would use a CHE(ceramic heat emitter) on 24/7 set at 80/86f and a uvb tube light for D3 instead of a basking light. This will reduce the drying out of the carapace process.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Well Tiny Tortoise,
Unfortunately for y’all, you’ve opened herself up for many posts regarding this. We’ve all got the best intentions at heart here for your tortoise. Not only does probe need to be at tortoise level, but just like with your thermostat, a hygrometer, needs to be placed at various areas of your tortoises enclosure. And you need to check it often. In my baby leopard tortoises indoor enclosure I’ve got three,(3) inside hygrometers in it for my regular monitoring.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Well Tiny Tortoise,
Unfortunately for y’all, you’ve opened herself up for many posts regarding this. We’ve all got the best intentions at heart here for your tortoise. Not only does probe need to be at tortoise level, but just like with your thermostat, a hygrometer, needs to be placed at various areas of your tortoises enclosure. And you need to check it often. In my baby leopard tortoises indoor enclosure I’ve got three,(3) inside hygrometers in it for my regular monitoring.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
He's a redfoot and only about 2 months old.

Here’s something else you might try. I’ve never done this before, but it seems logical that it should work. Soon I will add this to my young leopard tortoise enclosed chamber.
Some time back, during a conversation with Will, I believe, regarding humidity in an incubator, he mentioned that he uses an aquarium aerator with an air-stone attached producing a nice, fine water vapor like mist. I plan on putting this on a shelf in a small dish of water. At the opposite end away from my UVMVL avoiding the chance of the lamp getting water on it while it’s hot and instead having it on the side where my CHE is located.
My thinking here is that this will increase the humidity without causing a wet puddle under it. I’ll let you know the outcome once I do it. Currently the, “hot side” is 78.0°f & 55% humidity, while the “cool side” is 81.8°f & 65% humidity. These values are “okay” for me, I just want things a little higher, ya know?
On that note, I’m off to bed now. It’s 3:30am and I’m super way tired. Gnite all.

Tiny Tortoise

Florida
Then a closed chamber, 80% humidity. Keep the top of substrate dry though as they are prone to shell rot. Moisten the under layers by putting warm water into the corners so it goes down to bottom layers.
Well, the top layer is dry now, but the substrate has been wet for the month that I've had him. You don't think it's already a problem, do you?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Put your hand to the bottom of the substrate if it's sodden you can take it out and squeeze the water out then put back.