Humidity?

Hi again from the Hudson Valley NY Caspian (approx 4 mos old Russian) is doing well. Gained 1.27 grams. Eating well and his eyes much better. Still struggling to get humidity right. It's 68% right now near his basking spot and temp 93. What should I aim for nighttime temp and humidity? Love tortoiseforum!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hi again from the Hudson Valley NY Caspian (approx 4 mos old Russian) is doing well. Gained 1.27 grams. Eating well and his eyes much better. Still struggling to get humidity right. It's 68% right now near his basking spot and temp 93. What should I aim for nighttime temp and humidity? Love tortoiseforum!

I don't worry too much about ambient humidity for small russians. As long as they can dig down into some damp substrate, and/or use a humid hide box, ambient humidity shouldn't be a big deal. Anywhere from 30-80% should suit them fine, as long as they have access to a thick layer of damp substrate, a humid hide, and you are soaking daily or at least several times a week. 68% is great and a basking area of 93 is adequate, but I'd like it to creep a little higher this late in the day. I like the basking area to reach up to around 95-100 during the heat of the day in the afternoon.

For night time, I like to keep babies around 65-70, and same info for humidity as during the day. When temps cool, the humidity should rise, but that is okay. Adult russians can handle night temps in the 50s with no issues, as long as it gets plenty warm during the next day.

I don't worry too much about ambient humidity for small russians. As long as they can dig down into some damp substrate, and/or use a humid hide box, ambient humidity shouldn't be a big deal. Anywhere from 30-80% should suit them fine, as long as they have access to a thick layer of damp substrate, a humid hide, and you are soaking daily or at least several times a week. 68% is great and a basking area of 93 is adequate, but I'd like it to creep a little higher this late in the day. I like the basking area to reach up to around 95-100 during the heat of the day in the afternoon.

For night time, I like to keep babies around 65-70, and same info for humidity as during the day. When temps cool, the humidity should rise, but that is okay. Adult russians can handle night temps in the 50s with no issues, as long as it gets plenty warm during the next day.

Hi Tom. Got temp to 100 during day. My problem is that I keep moving him around. Get him up in am from humid hide, soak him in bath and put him on his food. In evening I get him from under his basking hide and put him on food. Then put him in his humid nighttime hide. Maybe I should trust him to go where he needs?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Tom. Got temp to 100 during day. My problem is that I keep moving him around. Get him up in am from humid hide, soak him in bath and put him on his food. In evening I get him from under his basking hide and put him on food. Then put him in his humid nighttime hide. Maybe I should trust him to go where he needs?

I see both sides of this. On one hand its fun to "fuss" over your pet and feed him and move him where you want him. On the other hand, leave the poor baby alone. As long the the handling and fussing isn't excessive where its to the point of interfering with activity and appetite, I think its fine. Some tortoises seem to accept it and even like it just fine. Other tortoises would rather be left alone.

As long as its not causing harm, I say handle the tortoise as much as you want. Just watch for the warming signs of stress. You might see those signs right away, after a while, or never.

Alaskamike

South Florida
@Tom 's suuggestions are right on. I have a Sulcata, Aldabra & a leopard. All different in how they react to handling.

The Sulcata (17 lbs) will start to take bites of grass even before his feet are firmly planted. When I move the Aldabra (18 lbs) or the Leopard (8lbs) they will sit for 10 minutes sometimes before moving again. It's like they have to get over the shock of being picked up.

Each tortoise has its own level of tolerance to handling. You can gauge your's by their reactions somewhat

Good fortune to you

Reactions: Tom